help me out, i'm a rookie

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BigBuckTroy, Dec 16, 2014.

1. BigBuckTroy

BigBuckTroy Fawn

Sep 16, 2014
    So i put arrow in a young buck today at 4pm broadside at 25 yards right above his shoulder. I saw it run off 70 yards in an open field wight he arrow stuck in him. I shoot a PSE Rally with a 60lb draw. I thought this was going to be my first bow kill. This is my second year hunting and first year hunting with a bow. I end up searching for blood an hour later after i hit him. I can't find any blood anywhere. I follow where i last saw him last. I found the arrow on the ground after he ran through some thick brush. 20 yards after i found the arrow, i found a tiny bit of blood. the blood trail was only about 30 yards long with little blood drips. Im guess i hit too much bone.The arrow had 6inchs of blood on it. Can anybody help me out with why i didn't find blood till 100 yards later? IMG_0370.jpg

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    High hits take a while for the cavity to fill, therefore takes a little time to bleed. Looks like "enough" penetration to get into the lungs if in the right spot.........with no exit hole, blood trail won't be "awesome". I'd go back in the morning, get on hands and knees and try to track......I'd suspect (if not too high) you killed him if you hit where you think. If you didn't jump him, he likely didn't go more than 100 yards after crossing the field........good luck!!

Note: picture appears to show broadhead missing the tip and at least 1 blade.....likely shoulder hit, if what I think I see.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sounds like a shoulder blade hit with the lack of penetration and loss of blood trail.

4. As frustrating as it is, We most all been there. As mentioned above, go back in the morning. Stick with it, don't get discouraged and good luck. Welcome to our world! Keep us posted.

5. BigBuckTroy

BigBuckTroy Fawn

Sep 16, 2014
    Thanks guys! Cheap broad head and shoulder shot = a no no

6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    This is just me thinkin' here but with 6" of blood showing on the arrow & a high hit that takes a while to fill up, I'm betting he's down within a couple hundred yards of where you found the arrow.... I'd be looking hard!

7. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Good luck on finding him.

8. jayder85

jayder85 10 pointer

Best of luck and keep us posted!

9. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    what was the verdict?

10. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I guess we may never know.

11. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Any luck finding your deer?

12. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    from what i have seen with the tracking dog and in this picture he hit the ball of the shoulder and maybe got 2 to 3 inches of penetration. the extra blood on the arrow is running down the shaft as it is dangling to the ground as the deer is running away. verdict would be a non fatal hit and this deer will live to see another day. not much will penetrate the shoulder ball. with the blade missing and the other bent like it is id say thats where he hit.

13. BigBuckTroy

BigBuckTroy Fawn

Sep 16, 2014
    i did not end up finding the deer. not enough blood trail. only bout 30 yards of lil drops of blood.

14. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I agree..............