Help me hunt please

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Christian Rice, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this forum but I've got a question. It's a scenario question. So I'm 14 years old and I'm seeking advice because my dad doesn't really know what he's doing. So my uncle owns 45 acres in owenton ky the only problems is there are only a few places you can shoot a gun. I've got one 15 acre hill that we see alot of deer during the summer and spring but come fall I never see any anywhere. I've really got only 2 more spots one is a valley that we never see any and another place is right by the house that is only an early morning place and is very hard to hunt. So my question is where do you suggest putting a permanent blind. And without a food plot how do you suggest bringing the deer in
    I gun hunt and bow hunt

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Where are the deer traveling to and from when they are on the property?

Happy to help any way. I've learned a lot from the guys on this board over the past (almost) 15 years.

Don't be too hard on your dad. I didn't start hunting until I was 25. Made every mistake you can make until...like this week. It's a work in progress for all of us.

xbokilla and gung like this.
  3. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    The deer are traveling from where I suspect they are bedding down which is on the side of the hill I hunt to the other which is only about 25 yards of woods then it's the neibors property. Thanks for your help

4. preachnhunt

preachnhunt 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2009
    Garrard
    I would suggest getting the big picture from google earth. It may be that there is some kind of travel corridor or funnel etc. from neighboring properties that you can gun hunt which will keep you away from the bedding area(s)

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Back in 1983 I stopped by the Monterey General Store for an RC and a Moon Pie. While I was standing in the parking lot by my truck eating, a local guy walks up to me and starts talking about deer. I think his name was Sambo?
    Anyways..
    I asked him where was the best place to deer hunt in Owen Co. He told me any back yard in Owen Co is just as good as any other.

6. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY

7. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    Thanks for your reply I will try it all

8. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Without seeing your area ,it is hard to tell you where to hunt.
    Owen co. is full of deer,I would say to set up where you can see the
    most of the hill if possible.Deer during the rut and hunters in the woods
    will keep deer moving. By the way, you will need to have an adult accompany you
    while your hunting with a firearm. Good Luck and Be Safe

9. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    Ask for a trail cam for Christmas. If you get some snow this winter get out there and find some tracks study whats going on. Don't be to hard on your dad. My dad didn't either but he took me, now I take him.

10. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    Yes my dad is always with me he just doesn't really know a whole lot about hunting

11. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    Okay will do thanks I'm just happy my dad will go out with me and I would never go to hard on him

12. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I will
    I will second the invite to go to Google earth and look at the satellite shot of the property. Most the time is the satellite pictures were taken in late winter or early spring before anything brings up. A lot of times you can actually zoom in and see the trails that deer walking on. That is a big help.

Maybe pay attention to that valley that you never see deer in. If it's wooded has brush and cover there's a very good chance that they're using it and you just don't know it.

I just harvesting a doe in what I thought was a wasted 5 Acres of my property that runs along a driveway. Turns out it's used a bunch for cover and as a travel corridor.

I tied a 6 inch piece of pvc to a tree and put $5.99 of corn in it and they tore it up. Was how I knew they were using that area more than I thought.

preachnhunt likes this.
  13. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    I’ve hunted owenton for 25 years give or take a couple. As already stated google earth and the lay of the land tells a lot. Do a screen shot and post a pic without road names and we will critique for you. No different in owen than anywhere else. Field or valley, setup in an area as to get a good view into the woods whilst also being able to shoot in the valley or field. This time of year the bucks r nuts. Sit and wait, be quiet, spray down with some scent killer, wear your orange and you will see some deer. I’ve hunted hesler, Monterey, new liberty, Gratz, by elk creek, and about everywhere else. I can count on one hand the times I’ve not seen a single deer and that’s 100’s of hunts. Next year put out some salt blocks and corn if you have the cash. I used to spend a lot on corn but the last few years I’ve done fine or better without it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  14. Christian Rice

Christian Rice Fawn

May 15, 2017
    Owenton KY
    That is certainly something I'll try

15. Bhs 97

Bhs 97 Fawn

Oct 15, 2017
    Jackson KY
    Huntstand is a great app to download and use for your property versus google earth.