Help, I Need opinions

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kyhunter96, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Kyhunter96

Kyhunter96 Fawn

Oct 6, 2014
    Probably shot my biggest buck this morning around 8am.. let it sat for an hour after the shot and started on the blood trail. But I Ended up bumping him 50yards from my stand and he wasn’t running very hard at all away from me. I did find a few pieces of corn... but did find a lot of blood with some bubbles in it. He was quartering away from me just a bit when I shot. Idk if I pulled away or what happened. I backed out as soon as I bumped him. Never been so tore up in my life, I don’t think I’ve ever had a deer went 75 yards or more after a shot. Never lost one either, really hope this isn’t the first. Here’s some pics, and does anyone know what that is in the 3rd pic? And how long would you all wait?

Attached Files:

2. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    If you found corn with blood on it that should tell you were you hit him. I would treat him like a he has been gut shot. Back out and give him 4-6 hours.

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    3rd pic looks like some of the intestines. That deer will be dead. Id give him the rest of the day if it was me. Go back a few hrs before dark and resume search. If he didnt get bumped any more..he probably didnt go far. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    I agree with KC. Back out and wait until dark or so to pick the trail back up. Corn is about as sure sign of a gut shot as anything. Good luck

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Since you got corn in it you know for sure guts was hit plus I would think more than just that by the blood. I would think by those pics he is hurt good. Probably didnt go much farther and bed down again. Myself I would give him as much time as you can that will allow him to die. If too soon you will jump him again and no telling how far it will run. I believe fatal shot you will find him.

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    That's guts, but also looks like plenty good blood. Go in a couple hours before dark and get your deer

7. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    Go slow and be ready to shoot again.

8. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    What everyone has already said...……...WAIT !! Hopefully jumping him out of his initial bed won't cost you the deer. Hopefully for you he doesn't go far and lays back down.

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Be prepared to shoot when you are tracking this evening. Bring a friend that way you can keep an eye out while your buddy tracks.

BowOnly likes this.
  10. LA4024

LA4024 Fawn

Apr 27, 2007
    +100 to all that has been said, looks like a gut shot with maybe the bullet impacting into the liver with the dark blood, give him some time and then sneak back in quietly and find him.

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Looks like you caught back end of a lung as well. When did you shoot?

12. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    Gut shot deer can live for hours. Have found them alive even after 12 hours or more. Bumping a gut shot deer can have them run for a mile or more which hopefully isn't the case. The deer will die if you leave him alone for at least 6 hours or longer. Problem is once jumped the blood trail also usually stops. Depending on where you are I may be able to track with the dog if you need her . 5026824397. Good luck.

carnivore likes this.
  13. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Go home.come back in the morning.dead deer.I found that out the hard way.back out!

14. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Thats a significant amount of blood. If it was like that for 50 yards, and he bedded down that quickly, he'll die soon. I agree, wait until 3:30-4 and go back in and I bet you find him dead as a hammer not far from where you bumped him.

15. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I think you hit part of lung if you see bubbles..or as said liver. That's decent blood if you have very much of that....nothing new to add....he's already laid down once....give it till st least this evening.