HELP---Dirty Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by easternkyhunter, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    I think that was before wolf

2. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Like others said drill and a steel rod and brush , ZEP works great WD 40 lots of work but it can be done

Trapper Delk likes this.
  3. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Forget WD-40.
    Mix up some Ed's Red. Google it. Equal parts Kerosene, ATF, Mineral Spirits, and Acetone. Put some of that down the bore with a mop or wet patch and let it soak.

Use a copper scrubber (like Chore Boy) on a jag soaked in Ed's Red for several strokes, and then clean up.

Repeat as needed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    dirtstalker and Trapper Delk like this.
  4. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    That sounds like a witches brew gotta work

5. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I figured out after I switched to a modern muzzleloader that there is nothing traditional about it. I started out with 777, which is a modern formulation that bears no resemblance to BP. When it came time to clean it, I found water wash-up didn't cut the gunk, nor did my favorite BP solvent (green soap and Hydrogen Pyroxide and Murphy's Oil Soap).

Eureka! Enter Ed's Red. Ed's is a formulation that roughly approximates what gunsmiths were using 80 years ago-- think Hoppes without the banana oil.

I had a devil of a time getting my breech plug out. I poured a little Ed's down the barrel and it popped right out. Ditto for the grunge that builds up on the sides of the plug. I wrap a 2" patch soaked in Ed's Red around the plug and let it sit overnight. It shines up in the morning.

If you're having trouble, slow down and be patient. The longer you let Ed's Red sit, the better it works. I do a light cleanup of all my deer rifles after season and leave a sizeable residue of Ed's Red in the barrel. When I pull the deer guns out, the first thing I do is run a dry patch down the barrel. Ed has been in there for months doing its thing, and a relatively clean barrel will still yield a bunch of gunk that Ed managed to pull out.

BTW: Acetone is carcinogenic. Unless I'm dealing with plastic sabot goo or shotgun wad residue, I just use the Ed's without the Acetone. Also I use the first two components (K1 and ATF mixed 50-50) as a gun oil. Automatic Transmission fluid is the synthetic replacement for spermoil. They had to invent ATF because the early automatic transmissions required massive amounts of sperm oil and all the sperm whales got slaughtered as a result.

KYBOY likes this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Alright, don’t laugh. I suck at cleaning, but it’s just me. Once you get the grime and rust out as far as just making them shine and clean up after shooting....windex or some other window cleaner. My dad is 78 and has made many a custom flintlock/BP rifle he says, “If it’ll clean dead bugs off windshields, it’ll clean a gun barrel.” Once again, not the item to breakdown rust but will flat cleanup regular ML shooting gunk. As far as inlines, he has a couple (lots of traditional) but his fav is an Austin Helleck he’s had for years and he can make it shine like it’s new off the shelf.

8. RKF11

RKF11 8 pointer

Apr 9, 2010
    Southeastern KY
    Krolls creeping oil

Trapper Delk likes this.
  9. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Yes that stuff is rusts nightmare

RKF11 likes this.