Help did i do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mathewslxinky, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mathewslxinky

mathewslxinky 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    irvington, ky
    I just shot the biggest buck of my life at 7:00 tonight. but the bad thing is he was quartering toward my. my arrow did not pass thru but loked like good penetration. i hit him above his shoulder bone. i am not going back till after 10:00 tonight. what are my chances. when i hit him he ran for about 10-15 yards and then stoped i hope he is laying there but i did not want to bump him ( when in doubt back out) please someone tell me that will finish him off. he is either a 9 but i think he is a 10 HELP

2. KYHUNTER14

KYHUNTER14 10 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Ashland, KY
    Chill out!!! I know it is hard, but 10 pm will never come if you are watching the clock.

You made a good decision to wait I think. Did the deer lay down or just stop?

3. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

when you say quartering toward you, how hard, and at what angle did the arrow impact the deer. how high were you above the deer and how long was the shot. if you are high above the shoulder, but angles steep into the deer, you may have gotten into the lungs/liver. if the angle is not steep, you may have shot the taint...meaning, taint high enough for spine, or low enough for vitals.

you definately did the right thing backing out. that never hurts. you say he only ran 10 or 15 yards, how far does that put him from your stand? are you sure you didnt bump him getting out of your stand?

4. fusion308

fusion308 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    You did the right thing,set down and relax .....how far in did the arrow go ? Did it angle down and back ??

5. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    It's never easy to choose NOT to take that shot on a big deer when it's your only shot.

Give it atleast until 10:00 pm. IF you got good penetration, you should be fine. It may not be a great blood trail, but with any luck you got lung and maybe liver, probably didn't go too far. Be sure NOT to bump him on your way back in.

Good luck and I hope congrats.:D

6. mathewslxinky

mathewslxinky 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    irvington, ky
    i think the arrow went in a good foot. he was 17 yards away. i shoot a 70 pound mattwes xt with a beaman arrow tipped with a 100 grain magnus stinger 4 blade. it did go in above his shoulder i would say 4-6 inches. he was quartering toward me at like 10 oclock if that makes sence. and you are right 10 is never going to get here. he ran but then stoped or slowed to a walk into some heavy stuff about 40 yards away. hunting out of a hang on so i was real quiet getting out i never heard him get up and run but i never header him fall over either.

7. bigeza2000

bigeza2000 8 pointer

Oct 11, 2007
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Your Deer

Sounds like you have done enough to put him down. Good luck!! I hope you fin him and share the pics with us. If you need someone to help shoot another deer, just let me know. HA HA But seriously, I'm getting tired of talking hunting and not hunting myself. Good luck though!!!

8. TROPHYTAKER308

TROPHYTAKER308 Banned

Oct 23, 2005
    frankfort,ky
    go ahead and get him and report back...take a lattern and a bright flash light...its 10;06 here ,what r u waiting 4

oh...how big was he?????

9. kycamtrakker

kycamtrakker 6 pointer

Feb 22, 2006
    good luck!!! i hope you find him

10. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    If you shot above the shoulder blade on a quartering to, I'm guessing you gut shot him. The shoulder blade covers the kill zone on quarter to shots. I'd give him until morning. Depending on the angle, you may have hit the top of a lung or the liver.

http://wideworldofhunting.com/shotplacement.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  11. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    Good luck,i hope you find him.

12. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.