HELP! Any suggestions? Hubby backed the tractor (tiller still running) into a fence.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Need I say what a mess we've got??? That stuff is wrapped around the tines as tight as can be... He's been out there for almost 2 hours trying ot cut it loose & you can't even tell he's touched it....

Got a feeling there aren't any tricks to speed it up ... so we're probably going to loose a whole days worth of work....

GrouseAssasin

12 pointer
Aug 1, 2009
Jackson, ky
If you have a oxy/act torch handy maybe get in there and very carefully cut the wire out with it. Just be careful and don't get into the tines or shafts on the tiller. We have a patch of Kudzu vines on our farm. Couple years ago it was trying to spread out into one of our bottoms so I got the brilliant ideal of chopping it up with the tiller......bad ideal. Took me all day to dig the vines out.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Tried reversing the tines but it's wrapped in there too tight & snagged on everything coming & going... one big WAD of mangled wire. He's under there cutting by hand...

It's gonna be a long day....

EC

12 pointer
Jul 13, 2003
Louisville, KY.
I'm sorry that happened. I've seen something like it before (back when I was a kid hanging around on farms). Had to "clip" it out one strand at a time basically.

Snareman2

12 pointer
Feb 25, 2007
Take turns cutting and get the best cutters you can find, it might cost a little, but it will save time, patience, and hands. I've got some Knipex that I have had for over 20 years, they are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSP

14 Pointer
Staff member
Dec 12, 2001
Montrose
I hit a set of old bed springs that someone had buried with a tiller. I had about the same mess as you have except it was spring steel involved. All you need is time, patience, good wire cutters, linesman pliers, band-aids, some cussing, bleeding, alcohol, replacement skin for knuckles and possible stitches.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Well, he finally got all the wiring cut loose... Just in time to run over a steel fence post he didn't know was there.... And when checking for damage from it, he walked into the upraised bucket of the tractor and knocked himself out! Scared the living h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of me!!! He dropped like a rock & wasn't moving. He was only out a minute or so but still...

I've seen him hurt more than once (in addition to some pretty impressive dumb stunts here at home including twice where he rolled a 4-wheeler, he used to play adult soccer in Lexington. I insisted on going to all games os had someone to drive him ot the ER when needed...) but I've never seen him drop like that.

Hard head refused to go to the ER & after we got the bleeding stopped, over my protests, he went back out ot finish fertilizing & tilling the garden spots. Needless to say, the heat got him bleeding again so by the time he was finished, there was blood running down his face and down his shirt again.

I finally got him inside, camped out in front of the TV, air-conditioning on, Gatorade in hand, and I'm swapping ice packs in & out ever 20 minutes or so. He's gonna be a mess by morning. Two HUGE gashes right up the middle of his forehead. Three separate pump knots. It's bad enough that it wouldn't surprise me if one of both eyes blacken by morning...

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Try this:

1. Unhook tractor from tiller
2. Hook wagon to tractor
3. Put Hubby on wagon
4. Go to town
5. Trade Hubby in for newer model!!

:eagerness:

LOL! At this point, I couldn't even trade him in! (Seriously though... we're less than a month shy of having been married 30 years so I think I'll keep him at this point!)

He just needs to stay off/away from the tractor for a bit!!

EKYridgerunner

10 pointer
Sep 13, 2010
That's a bad day for sure.

It's not my business, but you may want to at least call a doc and let them know what happened. Your husband sounds like a tough guy, but brain bleeds aren't pretty.

EC

12 pointer
Jul 13, 2003
Louisville, KY.
Try this:

5. Trade Hubby in for newer model!!

:eagerness:

From just reading about that last series of events, sounds like a "scratch and dent" sale is in order.

That's a bad day for sure.

It's not my business, but you may want to at least call a doc and let them know what happened. Your husband sounds like a tough guy, but brain bleeds aren't pretty.

I agree...brain hemorrhages can't be detected by "look" or "feel" and nothing to fool around with.