Help a noob out

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by KYtrapper2005, Mar 15, 2021.

1. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Never chased gobblers before. My dad got one double beard tom weighed 23lb when I was little that's my only experience. I want to go bad! but really don't know how. any help?

2. Mike Mcghee

Mike Mcghee Fawn

Feb 9, 2021
    Missouri
    First thing I would do is buy a call with a CD and learn how to call. Once you learn that remember not to over call nothing will hang a gobbler up anymore than over calling if he thinks your hot a lot of times hell wait for you to come in to him rather than go to you. Another thing to remember turkeys have a very sharp eye do not make sudden movements they will pick up on that like you wouldn't believe and its over. Turkeys are very sharp animals and they don't give to many second chances but the best way to learn is just get out and do it. Your gonna make mistakes and your gonna do some things right you just need to learn from your mistakes and keep doing the things that you did right.
    To me learning and understanding how the turkeys work is the fun part about going. Ive been hunting them all my life and I'm 51 years old now and ive killed lots of turkeys and ive called lots of turkeys up for people and they have killed them but the thrill of the hunt is what keeps me going not the actual kill. With that being said I still make mistakes and your going to as well and anyone that tells you they don't probably hasn't hunted turkeys very much but just get out there and spend as much time in the woods hunting as you can and suck up every piece of knowledge you can possibly get and it will come together. When you do get that first turkey it will be something that you will remember the rest of your life. When you put time, hard work, and effort into something and it finally pays off theres nothing like it and I hope you all the luck in the world and hopefully you'll get one of these majestic birds and get to experience the true fun of it.

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    There’s an 8 page thread down below called “turkey tips for all” read through it

4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    The best way to learn is from spending time in the field. You will make a lot of mistakes but that’s what makes a turkey hunter. Watch videos and read then apply it best you can.

carnivore likes this.
  5. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I recently posted a whole beginner's guide on my site, Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries You are welcome to hang out there as much as you need. I've been publishing articles on Turkey Hunting since 2004, and a lot of them are aimed at beginners.

My first tip goes along with the Wildman's. Go find bird you can hunt, and then spend as much time as you can hanging with them. The hens will teach you more than any calling tape or Youtube.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Secure a place with lots of turkeys on private land and someone will show you how.

7. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Watch some videos, read some book's and spend a lot of time in the woods.

8. KYtrapper2005

KYtrapper2005 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2021
    Allen county
    Thanks every one! I had an offer to go and im pumped!

Trapper Delk likes this.
  9. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    The thing you need to know the most about turkeys is that they can see EXTREMELY well. I’ve never been so baffled at how easily they can pick you out. I mean, like bat your eyes and they’ll see it. That said, here’s some tips..

Never let your silhouette stand out. Always put your back against a tree, or a rock or anything that is your size and try to get out of their main line of sight.

Camo is important, but more important is not moving. I sit with my gun resting on my knee because it’s dang near impossible to pick it up once you see one. ALWAYS wear a face mask and gloves.

Turkeys are talkers so learn the language. This only comes with time spent in the woods. I suggest just learning how to do a yelp call and don’t over use it. If one responds to you, you can talk back but it will often pay off to give them time to wonder then if it looks like they aren’t coming you can get more aggressive... I highly recommend the thread turkey tips for all and also watching YouTube videos of good ol boys gettin it done. Don’t try to mimmick the ‘pros’- sure, they get credit but I’ve also seen them do things that I would never do like over calling when the birds are already coming or when they are already dialed in on your decoys.

I do like decoys to help me out, but you don’t need a whole flock. I like hens and a Jake...

Mostly your just gonna have to put your time in and learn. It’s a blast! Enjoy!

KYtrapper2005 likes this.
  10. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    Something that's hard to mess up is scratching in leaves they scratch in a sequence one scratch then one,two = 3 scartches but if leaves are wet doesn't work so good :D

11. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    I had some real good help back before there were many turkeys. After that first one I made a bunch real smart. Then started killing them pretty consistant. Watch on you tube read some then get out there. You don't need all that junk they sell in town to get it done. More crap to carry around.