Hello Kentuckians

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by HuntressOfLight, Nov 24, 2019.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Displaced surfer, native Floridian here, currently sitting in a Kentucky WMA, freezing my buns off, while looking like a dwarfed midget in my father's old hunting apparel. Some good ole boy just passed me in his truck, put it in reverse, pausing to ask if I am okay. Men are friendly around these parts, lol...

Although proficient with firearms, having been taught by the colonel, beginning at age eight, and I currently have one on me, along with a deer knife for self defense, I hunt unique light, only with my trusty Canon Rebel of old. Some would call me a professional photographer/writer, being published with magazine covers and articles, but I am simply self-taught and fiddle with all, learning as I go.

I am currently learning about deer and extraordinarily excited over the opportunity, hitting the WMA regularly this week, and reading all in which I can manage in short order, while ducks and geese will be next on my agenda. It is my hope to learn much from each and every last one of you. I may ask multitudes of ignorant questions, in the process, please understand.

MoMan and timer like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Welcome. Your ignorant questions will fit right in.
    Have your orange on today?

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Welcome.

There are some incredibly beautiful areas of Kentucky. Personally, I'm partial to the creeks, hills and bottoms around the Cumberland River where I grew up.

I look forward to your stories and photos.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Welcome aboard, Huntress. I like self-taught people. They can teach you more than plain ol' taught people.

MoMan and HuntressOfLight like this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    WELCOME. Which WMA you on? If you think it is cold now. Wait till you go after those flat foots.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Yes Sir, orange vest atop oversized camo gear, causing me to feel like a total wetard, which is always fun, but I'm not exactly trying to make a fashion statement, either. The new game warden was called on me the other night, by someone I met back in 2016, while doing a 30 day shoot of the eagles, all because I was driving a new car said man failed to recognize. I learned that, although the WMA is closed, poachers have been an issue; hence, I thought it wise to wear the hunter orange. I did see my first buck, just yesterday. He pranced within maybe 75', and jumped very high, as if he had springed hoofs while crossing the road... pretty and very cool!

Thank you for the welcomes. Just returned to the house for a quick break, with intentions to hit the WMA again momentarily.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Enjoy the process and be patient. I look forward to seeing some of your work. There are a few guys on here that spend more time with a camera than they do their rifle.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Ah, yes, patience... Although I disagree, as perhaps would some others, I have frequently been told that I possess the patience of Job. An example is that upon pulling back into the WMA, I paused at the front slough, finding myself shooting hordes of mallards, as opposed to those sneaky little elusive deer, appearing directly in front of me, when I least expect it. Granted, I am an extreme action sports photographer with focus upon water; so, that may have quite a bit to do with my consistently being drawn to this area of the WMA, but I do find myself relishing in the challenge of the deer.

The extreme problem is that we are not permitted to get offroad, at this time, and so thankfully my knowledge of winds from surfing is proving beneficial. Still, it would be most helpful to actually be able to get out into the area and set up, because what I desire most is capturing two bucks fighting one another, and the chances of such are one in a million, under these strict guidelines. All the same, I did manage a couple of potentially good shots the other day, with a few does walking into a patch of light, which was filtering through the tree canopy, making it appear that they were on hallowed ground. Time will tell, once I eventually unpack my computer and load all. Thank you very much for the encouragement, I greatly appreciate it.

10. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Goodluck seeing a mature buck fight. Only one ive seen was many years ago after dark.
    I always liked those fence, creek etc.. jumping pics

11. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    These hordes of mallards you speak of???

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Mega mallards everywhere. A couple of bald eagles were making some a bit nervous last week. There are three private hunting lodges bordering this WMA. Thankfully, I have been granted access to each. The manager of one is to call me, when he next feeds ducks to the bald eagles. He said 50+ typically show. Should be rather gruesome, while making for some awesome shots.

Meatstick likes this.
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky

14. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Welcome Huntress.

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I'm unsure if this great video will post (manually typed all, because I could not get it to embed...):

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019