Hell Horse/Demon-Steed

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by aaronc, Aug 27, 2021.

1. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Greek in origin,..the classical trained/educated horners of the time would have been familiar with the symbol. There are around a dozen attributed to 1 single maker,..but multiple period makers had used this symbol on their horns. Meaning is a little up for interpretation but a couple of theories are it represented the death and disease of war,...or the wish to bring death to an enemy type thing.

Only the outline has 1st pass of ink at the moment...all of the details in the neck, wings, tail area are only penciled and scribed. Still have some details to pencil in and scribe before adding some more ink.
    Horn was made by Bill Smith quite a few years ago.

Attached Files:

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Very nice work sir.

aaronc likes this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
  4. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Can't wait to see this! Gonna be unreal when you finish!

aaronc likes this.
  5. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Penciled in some period script and other details today. Ready for the scribe next session.

Attached Files:

barney, Drahts and Feedman like this.
  6. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    Cool ! And I can't even draw stick figures...:(

Little FR and aaronc like this.
  7. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    nice, very nice!!!

aaronc likes this.
  8. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Hell Horse side pretty much done,..going to start sketching on the other side in a week or 2... 20211111_144322resize35.jpg 20211111_144340resize35.jpg 20211111_144348resize35.jpg 20211111_144400resize35.jpg

9. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Dang Aaron looks good!

aaronc likes this.
  10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You have WAY more patients than I do.

aaronc likes this.
  11. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    Looking good. The English looks almost out of place on it. Not a criticism.

Can you use it for a powder horn or canteen? Maybe a medicine bag.

I would love to have a fancy powder horn.

aaronc likes this.
  12. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Like the others looking good

aaronc likes this.
  13. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

If you mean the script ? "Hell Horse" ? .,...it's just a style of period script off some of the originals. Not sure about the canteen part,..I've never heard of anyone using them for water. Given the spout design the traditional horns were meant for and used for black powder,..although if need be you could use it for any fine grain material like salt I guess.

Dedicated salt horns..rum horns....snuff box/tobacco horns...and other things like tinder horns were all made back then and modern makers still do some today. They were more in line with their dedicated use when it came to shape size and accessing your chosen material, just depending. Really no wrong way to do it when it comes down to it,....there certainly were professional horner's in early America...but everyone couldn't afford that and simply used what they had.

14. Little FR

Little FR 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2021
    West Kentucky
    This is modern times and we all speak English. It is very well done, looks like a period correct piece so you would almost expect it to have Greek language.
    DarkHorse-
    μαύρο άλογο

Like I said, not a criticism. It is so well done and ancient in appearance, your eyes just expect to see a script type of language at first glance. Keep up the good work. Are you going to display it or use it?

15. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

The highly educated in those days would have known a little Latin for sure,..Greek maybe,..? I don't really know. I've never seen Greek on an original,..not saying it wasn't done but I have a library full of references so it for sure wasn't common. The originals carry pretty much English with a buncha misspellings at that.

The horn belongs to a dedicated shooter and has already been in service for probably give or take 15 years. It's just came to me for some scrimshaw. When I'm done it will go back into it's place on an active "rig" and be used. He wanted an early Revolution theme and we got together on the subject matter.

On a couple of side notes...All we have to go by on the originals is what has survived,..which is a very small percentage of horns. That fact being considered there is no telling what was on many of the horns of the day. I do use reference a lot but don't begrudge anything that seems more original. On the contrary I enjoy doing work at least at times influenced by the originals but my own original design.

My next horn to be scrimshawed after this one is a very white flat horn that is my daughters, she is 10. Just by chance she is pretty high up on the academic scale herself and one of her main passions is .....you guessed it,..Greek Mythology..and a few other things. So..that being said her horn will have a pretty significant amount of Greek influence on at least one side of the horn and some foreign language may very well show up on it :)

..........and no offense taken on your comments...;)

Little FR likes this.