Heavy barrel vs standard barrel

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Flash5150, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Flash5150

Flash5150 Spike

Nov 30, 2006
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but I could not find anything by doing a search. I am interested in buying my first varmit gun for coyote hunting. I have found a gun I like in 22-250, but it does not have the heavy barrel. I was wondering if some of you guys with experience could tell me if there is a significant advantage to the heavy barrel, or will the standrad barrel do me just fine? I have never owned a heavy or bull barrel rifle. I am told it helps with heat (dont think I will have a problem with that), and accuracy? Does it add that much to the accuracy? Any help is greatly appreciated. I realize I can google it or something, but I live in Ky and you guys seem to know what is happening. Thank you.......

2. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I have had heavy barrels, they are fine for the target range. But for hunting I prefer the sporter barrels. They're much lighter to pack around all day. And they are accurate.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Its a personal preference and with the two rifles I coyote hunt with....one is standard....one is heavy. My 22-250...which is the standard barrel...is my primary varmint hunting rifle. It's lighter & more comfortable on the sling than the bull barrel gun. The heavy barrel has a tendancy to be top heavy on my shoulder & I'm constantly having to grip the sling & adjust while walking to a set.

So....in my opinion & experience.....considering the amount of ground I cover...going from set-up to set-up....I would prefer a standard barrel to varmint hunt with. The accuracy difference between the barrels is a non-issue....unless your planning on hunting prarie dogs or such..where you may want the heavy barrel for heating issues of shooting a lot. For yote..and most other varmints....your not really going to be doing a lot of shooting. Also.... you may stretch the distance occasionally...but for most yote hunting / calling yotes..... your shots are not very long distance.

But....again....its just a personal preference.

4. tomkat

tomkat Fawn

Dec 25, 2010
    I carried two heavy barreled guns for I got me a lightweight and I like it tens times better

5. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    Heavy barrel guns sit better in shooting sticks and don't move around as much and make long shots easier, but far as more accurate I have light wieght barrels that shoot just as good so I would say not really,in most hunting situations light guns are just as good, and much easier to carry. It is just a matter of what you like.

6. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    I like the heavy barrel to hunt with.The differance in weight does not matter to me.On longer shots I think it make a differance.If it puts one more yote down and it weighs 2 pds. more I can carry that.Just a thought.

7. bigdale

bigdale 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2010
    30 foot up!
    I second that chuck. I also carry a heavy barrell and it has not been a hassle for me at all. Plus, it is alot more stable on those longer shots. But it all comes down to personal preference. I know some guys that refuse to carry a heavy barrel.

8. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    The heavy barrel helps when firing several shots in quick succession because it doesn't heat up as fast as a light barrel. The heavy barrel will be less sensitive to change in bullet weight also. For predator hunting, the light contour barrels do just fine. I have a pencil barreled 98 Mauser in .25-06 that shoots one hole groups with 90 grain Sierra "Gamekings".

9. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I have both a heavy and a sporter that I hunt with, like carrying the sporter best. Like the others have said, it's a personal choice.

10. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    To me, it depends on what your definition of a heavy barrel is. Unless Chuck has a different Savage than he had last time we hunted together, I don't call that rifle a heavy barrel. The heavy barrels I have had and seen are considerably heavier than that rifle. My Savage 243 is not a real light sporter type barrel, but it is a long way from a heavy barrel. That being said, it is accurate enough to shoot tight groups at 100 yds and maintains accuracy at long range.

11. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    Al is right,the barrel I was talking about is not the barrel you would use to target shoot but it is not a sporter barrel either

12. eleaf

eleaf Spike

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmore, KY
    Heavy barrel helps with accuracy with successive shots.

As the barrel heats up, shots will start to stray with a sporter barrel. But in hunting, there are no such thing as successive repetitive shot strings. You'll be fine with a sporter barrel, and it will be more comfortable to carry in the field.