Heat Pump Issue

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by BigPete, Jul 11, 2011.

1. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Well one of my Heil heat pumps crapped out today.
    Heres the problem:

Last week one day when I came home from work, I noticed downstairs was extremely hot, Air was blowing, but it was not cold. I killed the power, went out and took a look at it and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Turned the power back on and it started working fine, worked for a week.

Came home today and same thing, coils about same temp as outside air, outside fan is running but no cold air in the house.

Any idea as to what I can check before I call a AC guy?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. Rat

Rat 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2006
    USA
    Is your outside unit actually running with the fan or there just a hum? If it is a hum only and no fan running then I would say your fuses are blown inside the unit. Just happened with mine. If the fan is running then I would have the coolant checked.

Note: You will still get air from the registers if the unit fan is not running as that is coming from the blower inside your house. Hope whatever is the problem is you can fix it. I wish I would have had a tip on the fuse thing before having Mr. Fixit come out and charge me 150 for fuses and the service call. :mad:

3. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Outside fan is running on the unit in question.

One thing I did find..

On The other unit (upstairs and downstairs units) the Large copper line going into the house is MUCH cooler than the one on the unit not working properly.

I'm Guessing I have a Low refrigerant level which equates to a leak somewhere!!! NOT GOOD!!

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    It could also be dirt/pet hair on the coils. My copper line was freezing last summer, no cool air, too much stuff had gotten past the filter in 5 years..

5. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    If it don't restart after you shut it off for a while a capacitor could be to blame.

6. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    The capacitor kinda looks like a Coor's Light can, if you pull the panel off the outside unit and there is a part that looks like a beer can that has frozen and almost blown the top off, the capacitor is bad. I had to replace mine last year, $35 part... The top of the capacitor should be flat, not round.

7. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods
  8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I would'nt completly rule out low refrigerant..... but you need to varify the compressor is working. A freeze up is usually a indicator of low refrigerant...or stopped up condenser coils... but could also mean it just cant keep up considering the temps were having.

Compressor not running..... could be the starting capacitor or not uncommon to have a wire burned off going to the capacitor or to the compressor. Need to check voltage and if the capacitor is the culprit and you get it going...check to see how many amps its drawing. Not uncommon on older units to start pulling too many amps on start-up...inturn the capacitor wont hold up for long.

You can get a "hard-start" kit to buy you some time but its a good bet the compressor wont last long. Then theres a decision to make...replace the compressor...or replace the unit.

Good luck.

9. maxcam

maxcam 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    often times when both the high pressure line and low pressure line are the same temp on a heat pump with out the A coil icing over, and the compressor seems to be running, the problem is with a reversing valve......

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Could not get ANYONE to come out and look at it today!!

However, when I got home from work today I came home to a nice cool house!! Working fine!!

Guess it just works when it wants to, still gonna get it checked out however!!

Maybe it's a union heat pump and thinks it "deserves" more time off!!!!!

11. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    With the heat wave all us HVAC guys are completely covered up. I worked from 7a yesterday until about 8 this morning. Quick nap and back at it at noon. Anyway, I sent you a pm yesterday, I was going to walk you through as much as I could on the phone to keep you from paying for a service call.

I would start with JD's advice, he was thinking the same thing I was.

12. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Right now we are replacing blown capacitors like crazy.......not saying thats what it is but agree with JD after making sure the filter and coil was clean it would be my next place to check it could be going bad if it isnt already....

13. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    So the capacitor could cause the unit to work only PART of the time?The other day when it was not working properly, I took a temp out of a register, the air coming out of register was 68.9*.Yesterday I took a reading out of same register it was 59.7*Unit is working fine today.

14. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Its doubtful they do sometimes go on and off before going completely out. They swell and finally go bad. It may be your unit was just not able to handle the load that day. Mine was doing all it could do and ran a couple degrees warmer all day than the thermostat was set.

15. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Sometimes a good cleaning or new filter will help it run more efficient. Proper sizing is very important in HVAC. A loose duct is a killer too. Sucking air from under a house instead of in the house. Sorry, whole other issue.