Heading to Kansas Rabbit Hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Chilly, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Heading out to Kansas for a 3 day rabbit hunt.... Leaving first thing in the morning...The snow storm missed the area we are going to... I sure hope it is what we are expecting....
    Has anybody been to Kansas rabbit hunting this year?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    Always wanted to. Let us know how it turns out.

3. Outdoorfan

Outdoorfan 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    Rowan Co.
    Be safe and take lots of pic's

4. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    How was Kansas? I have fantasies about hunting rabbits in Kansas sometimes when it's time to go to the truck and it's about 2 miles away "uphill"!!!

5. MaxandWill

MaxandWill Fawn

Jan 7, 2006
    Funniest thing I ever saw was when a good buddy decided to take his 6 beagles out to Kansas with us a run the rabbits while the rest of us chased Pheasant. We had been out there for years and knew just how many cottontails were running around.

Six dogs.....six different directions and 30 or so rabbits scattering every time the dogs hit the ground, running the dogs silly for the entire trip.
    No wonder the farmer looked at us like we were nuts the first time years ago when we asked if it was ok to shoot a rabbit or two while pushing one of his a bird fields. He looked at us like we had asked if it was ok to shoot field mice.

6. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Got back yesterday morning.... We had a great time.... There were not as many rabbits as we were hoping to get into but we still had fun hunting new ground... Five of us hunted 3 days and got 41 rabbits, 29 quail and 5 rooster pheasants.... Sunday was absolutley terrible weather... 14 degrees for a high and the wind was 28mph all day coming out of the north while blowing snow flurries.... We hunted hard and the dogs did great on the rabbits and the birds... We have a couple of dogs that are great pheasant and quail track dogs... they would run them just like a rabbit and then hunt dead when we would lose one in the native grasses after being shot... We followed right behind the beagles and then the bird would flush... A few would flush before we could get close enough and then they would fly for a 1/4 mile.... We have no regrets about going to Kansas......After this hunt it puts our year total to 370 rabbits....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    Nice,,Thats a bunch of rabbits!

8. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    That just sounds like pure fun (Besides the hunting in 14 degrees haha). It seems like to me that Kansas is one of the best all around hunting states out there.