Hawks and Dogs

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by jeffcojoe, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

Anyone here ever personally had a Hawk attack your dog? Cat? Neighborhood in an uproar after someone facebooked a dire warning that the hawks were coming for their dogs. Same neighborhood where another neighbor wont let her kids play in her backyard because the deer will jump over the fence and attack them. Yeah...you guessed it...Louisville....

2. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    I watched a hawk get one of my barn cats once. Wouldn't necessarily write it down as an actual loss. Not that far fetched that one could get a little lap dog. I'd more Leary of a yote than a hawk.

3. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    My wife works at UofL and it's not uncommon for squirrels to get picked off by hawks. Keep in mind that these are fat cheeto eating squirrels and I'd say they're in the same ballpark as a cat or lap dog. Everyone really liked the hawks at first because they just hammered the pigeons that were a nuisance. Then they moved on to the squirrels -

4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    The damHawks will kill cats. Saw it happen once.
    The Hawks are protected and endangered?
    There's one on every fence post, that's why we ain't got any Rabbits.

mwezell likes this.
  5. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    The majestic hawk/bop has had an unfair advantage for a long time. Top of the food chain, no predator. Rabbits and quail have no chance.

davers likes this.
  6. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I've seen one take a run at a shitzu while having a cup of coffee (me not the shitzu) in the back yard. (Not my "dog"). Flipped her end over end and she got up and went after the hawk that overshot her a bit. Hawk would have struggled carrying her off but was willing to try. I want to say it was early spring a couple years back.

7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've had harvested Squirrels taken from me by Hawks. One time, I just shot a Squirrel and as soon as it hit the ground a huge Hawk swooped down and grabbed it and flew off. He was siting in a large oak tree, watching the same Squirrel as I, and when I shot the Squirrel, the Hawk made his move. UNBELIEVABLE!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    muddhunter likes this.
  8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Saw one take a run at a barn car once when I was a kid. It was a kitten so about the same size as a rabbit. Don't care for cats at all, so as said before, wouldn't be a big loss.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I completely disagree. We had a large population of hawks in Indiana growing up, and a huge rabbit population. We'd kill dozens per acre cutting and bailing hay. Hawks would line up to grab the carcasses.

I'd say coyotes are your likely reason for a low rabbit population.

Hawks aren't endangered.

10. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    I would say you are correct that coyotes kill more rabbits but hawks certainly kill them too. Hawks arent endangered but are federally protected. Sadly, its illegal to shoot them, no matter how high the population numbers get.

11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Crows are protected also (dumb)

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I realize they're protected.

I'm curious what empirical data, beyond personnel, biased observation, makes one come to the conclusion that the rabbit population has been decimated by hawks.

13. jeffcojoe

jeffcojoe 6 pointer

I think Rabbits are more loss of habitat. Seems like the more productive and active farms years ago were the rabbit hotspots. Just don't see the fencerows like years ago.

Nock, Carl, davers and 1 other person like this.
  14. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Crows?

There's an open season for crow. Plus, state law allows for killing of any crow caught depredating crops...you just can't bait for them.

Carl likes this.
  15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Owls take the heaviest toll on rabbits as they hunt at night. Then you've got hawks and house cats that kill hell out of them, too.

Coyotes and foxes are lower on the list.

What did the KY rabbit population in was a few things over the course of quite a few yeas: The steady loss of habitat. Then the harsh winter in 76 or 77 killed a bunch. And you have to throw in the rise of the raptor population and house cats.