Hawkins Rifles?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by ptbrauch, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Anyone out there still use them with the open sights, or am I the last one?

2. raven_over_easy

raven_over_easy 12 pointer

Aug 19, 2006
    cut my M/L teeth w/ a TC Hawkins. Still have it needs dusting off, I may hunt with it some next week.

3. BOBCAT

BOBCAT 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2004
    MADISONVILLE, KY, USA.
    yes, I have a St. Louis Hawken with iron sights and a side hammer, she's ready to go ;)

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The old T/C Renegade will be out with me Saturday. The boy will carry my Cherokee. The Cherokee is special to me, but I'd like to see the boy score with it.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I've got a T/C but it hasn't had an ember lit off in it in several years now.

6. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    flintlock round ball open sights is the way i go.anything else would be cheating;)

7. GunCat

GunCat 8 pointer

Jan 26, 2006
    Fairview, KY
    One of these days I might move up to one of those new fangled caplock Hawkins rifles, in the mean time my old flintlock wll have to do.

Sights?...who needs sights

8. pb

pb Cyber-Hunter

Will be using my Renegade 56 cal smoothbore.

9. handgunner

handgunner Cyber-Hunter

Nov 13, 2002
    Lexington, Ky, USA.
    I still use a hawken 54 with patched round ball.

10. notimlmit

notimlmit 12 pointer

Feb 7, 2007
    Barren co.
    Still have my 45 cal TC Hawkins but it now is displayed over my fireplace mantel----got to having some trouble with it so I upgraded----it has some good memories though, my first ml deer , my daughter and nephews first deer were shot with it.

11. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

The only way to go.

My first ML was a TC .45 Hawkins, I shot many a pound of powder through it. That was 30 years ago. After a couple of years I got like Jerimiah Johnson and I wanted a .50, money was an issue and I could not afford a TC .50 Hawkin but I got a Lyman Great Plains .50, so did my Dad and brother. That is what we shoot still to this day with, iron sights, FFF Black Powder, patch and ball.
    Anything else is just sacrilegiuos!:eek:

That is just how we like to do it, to each his/her own. It's all good in the end.:D

12. 30WCF

30WCF 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2006
    I've been wanting to hunt with a T/C Hawkin but havent taken the time. The gun shop I shop at has one in good shape I may get if I can talk him down a little after muzzle season. Its a 50 cal. set up for musket caps. What bullets and load are you guys using in them with good results?

13. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I shoot 90 grains of Pyrodex in mine with the T/C Maxihunter conicals.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Patched round ball will shoot better than my iron sights will. I use 60 grains and can shoot through both sides of a deer. Round balls make tree-mendous mushrooms.

15. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    That was the problem that I had with them when I used them. If you don't get a relatively easy pass through on the rib cage, you could forget about an exit wound. I've got one sitting in the cabinet that I recovered from a deer that's pancaked out to the size of a silver dollar.