hawk problem

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by corndogggy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    My grandfather raised chickens in a big way, and he hated hawks with a passion. If you saw one, then you better shoot it, or he would be mad. This was back in the day before they became protected. I raise chickens and they have been a problem for me.

2. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Around here back in the day folks would have a "Owl pole" in the chicken yard. Basically a long pole set in the ground, about 12' tall..They would set a trap on top of the pole. When the Owl's or hawks would fly into the chicken yard they would usually first perch on the pole getting caught..Honestly I just write that for useless info's sake. There isn't much one can do really, all raptors are protected..

3. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Best I can figure, I'm just going to fence up an old barn of mine and let the cats live in there. That will keep them off my porches too.

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Why don't you just keep your cats indoors? If you have too many to keep indoors, them maybe you have too many.

5. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I don't have any chickens and my daughters cats have never been bothered by hawks. We've got quiet a few around here. I've seen them swoop down through a maze of tree limbs chasing and catching song birds. We love watching them and always try to spot them when were driving. I'm sure that if I were in the same situation as some of you I wouldn't like them but I think they're pretty awesome. I'd love to have one mounted but I know there's no chance of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    One is too many to keep indoors.

7. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Agreed....LOL!!

8. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    I'm always on the hawk's side too. They are everywhere now though. I live in the city, and we have them all over the place.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    make sure the cats are between the end of the gun barrel and the ground, those hawks should be rewarded.

10. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

This^^^^^:)

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Or you could bury the cats up to the neck. That way they will stay in the yard and the hawks will have a harder time pulling them out.

12. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    And lizards. never saw a lizard in the city for 40 years. Last few years they are everywhere. Counted 5 blue tails today while I was cutting grass.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah the cat killing jokes are quite funny, especially when we're talking about the pets of a semi-special needs little girl who helped raise them since they were a day old. I find them hilarious myself.

14. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    If your goal is to insure that your little girl has a long relationship with those cats, keep 'em indoors.

http://www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/pdf/RMN_do_cats_need_roam.pdf

I'd also say it's a little unfair to play the sympathy card on this forum with respect to the "kill the cats" comments. You and everybody else knows that nobody really expected that you had any intentions of actually killing those cats. To be honest, special needs or no special needs kids, I don't want anybody's cats hanging around my house trying to catch/eat the wild birds that come to my many bird feeders and which my family happens to enjoy. I wouldn't care if the cats belonged to Mother Teresa.

You don't want 'em in your house. I don't want 'em in my back yard. The difference is that they're your cats, not mine.

15. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    You know good an well how most people feel about cats. You want sympathy about the cats go talk to Art

Mayes

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014