hawk problem

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by corndogggy, Aug 6, 2014.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    So my daughter loves cats and we've had several, including a recent large batch. However they keep disappearing. We had a full grown one disappear a year ago but it ran off multiple times before so we didn't think much about it. Same thing with a second full grown one, we've found it down the road and out in the field so when it disappeared when we left on vacation this spring we figured he had it coming to him, figured a coyote got him while wandering in the field. However we have lost 3 small juvenile cats that aren't really kittens anymore just in the past few days and they always stay up by the house. This morning confirmed my suspicions, there were two big-ass hawks in the front yard making all kinds of noise right after I realized they were missing, so I kind of think they are picking them off. I usually see them on the far side of my property but usually not up by the house. I let my land grow with lots of tree clumps and tall grasses which attracts rabbits and I guess lots of rabbits attracts hawks.

Anyway, cat jokes and "I hate cats" comments aside, is there anything I can do? I can't (won't) keep them in the house. Yeah I hate them in general too but this last batch had two I really liked, one named Sasquatch because it was solid gray and looked wild when it was a kitten, and a female named "Oil Spill" which was orange and white but had the ugliest splotches of black all over it but was really sweet. My daughter will be devastated if the others become hawk food, as if she isn't already. I think it is illegal to shoot them so that's probably not an option.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    When they've cleaned the cats out, they'll move on. No more hawk problem.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Unfortunately, you can't kill them. They are protected. And they are every where. They wreak havoc on small game and apparently cats. We've had them follow us hunting trying to catch the rabbit the dogs were running and actually swoop down but flare off at the last minute when they saw us.

The worst thing is to give them plenty of places to sit and watch over your property.

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Posting anything about getting rid of protected species can get you into hot water.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot or trap them period especially since I just talked to fish and wildlife about it. Fines are out the wazoo so I have zero interest in doing that. Am mostly interested in seeing if there is some way to repel them short of cutting down all my trees and bush hogging all my rabbit magnets in my field. They gave me a number to the Raptor Rehab center, said they might have some tips.

I didn't even mention my chickens, we lost a few of those as well. Tried to let them do the free range thing but had to start keeping them in a pen with an overhead chain link fence, only to have a weasel sneak in and rip their heads off. Sucks that I seemingly just have to sit here and deal with it.

6. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Three letters SSS.

7. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    i would just shoot the gun into the ground when they are there to scare them off....if you scare them enough they will find somewhere else where they are not being harassed......

8. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Firecrackers...Every time you see them.

9. BJN

BJN 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    corndoggy, if you discover a means to repel 'em be sure and post it. I can tell you that shooting in the ground and firecrackers won't do any good. They just keep a little more distant.

True case. Not mine but a close relative trying to raise free range chickens. Actually should say hawk food. KDFW's position was not enough rodents available. Need to establish better habitat for rodents.

10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Are they red tails or chicken hawks?

11. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I can't even get close to them. They can literally see me coming from a quarter mile away and will scream and take flight. They hang out on power lines that are taller than usual and can see forever. Apparently red tails like to do that, they hang out on tall cliffs and whatnot.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    They should open a season on them if only a few days a year. They had gottin thinned out years ago but have came back due to being protected to the point of over population. They really dont have much to keep them in check .

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
  14. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    We got two Redtails that hunt the fields next to our house, it's constant screeching from daylight to dark, seven days a week...it's starting to get a bit annoying.