having my wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by duckslayer870, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Well its official after ten years of putting it off I get to have my wisdom teeth cut out. My jaw is killing me when I try to eat. I pray that it goes well and for a speedy recovery.

2. Pugs

Pugs 8 pointer

Oct 3, 2005
    Had mine taken out when I was thirty two in the Navy. Guy (former enlisted VN era SEAL, now 0-6 dentist :D ) did a great job with three of the four impacted and I was eating solid food again in two days.

3. Kentuck

Kentuck 8 pointer

Nov 7, 2005
    Northern California
    Had mine cut out when I was 19. Went fishing two days later. Had to pop a pain pill or two while were out but was fine other wise.

4. Sarge

Sarge 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2007
    Laurel/Clay County
    Had my cut out in 2000 while stationed at fort polk. I was not happy about it, but was not bad at all went to sleep when i got up I ate an ice cream and played in a basket ball turny that night. Good luck and god bless

5. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    Had two out a few years ago. It took longer to put me under than it did to get my wisdom teeth out. I guess somebody figured wrong on the anathesia. The nurse hooked me up, gave me a few drops and said "I'll see you in recovery" A few minutes later she came in, asked "How ya doin"? I don't think I was supposed to answer, I was supposed to be out. When I said "I'm higher than a kite" she was surprised. Ten minutes later, I was sitting in an easy chair asking my wife "What happened? How long have I been asleep"?

A few Tylenol took care of the pain for the rest of the day. I just had mild irritation for a cuople of days, then nothing.

6. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Had all four cut out,all were impacted, and cysts cut from beneath them several years ago.It was painful to chew before I had them removed.Don't really remember the pain much of having them cut out, just having to rinse the holes out after each meal. I hear they don't do that anymore?

7. thanks for the reassuring posts everyone maybe this isnt going to be that bad.

8. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing 12 pointer

Nov 26, 2007
    Kentucky
  9. lady estrus

lady estrus 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2008
    Ky
    Had all four of mine cut out about 2 years ago. The procedure went great..The bottom two were left open, not sewed up and about 3 days after getting them removed I started to get very sick, vomiting,severe nausea,and very bad headaches. I went back for a follow up about 4 days after I started getting sick and the day of my follow up rcb216 came in from work that morning and took one look at me and said I need to call the surgeon..They told him to bring me on in ,my appointment wasnt until 2. So we go in and he looked at my mouth and said the reason why I was so ill was because food was getting in where my bottom two used to be and was fermenting. He flushed them out with a syringe and it was instant relief then he decided then that I needed it to flush them out every time I ate. I was like why in the He!! didnt you give me this to begin with I thought that I had a major infection or some crap and I felt really bad for several days.:mad:

I would ask if the bottoms are going to be left open and if they are ask for a syringe to flush..dont let them tell you you wont need it.

Dont want to scare you just letting you know what to ask and dont want anyone to go through it.

Good Luck;)

10. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Lady E, all mine were left open, they gave me a syringe with a curved plastic tip. I had to flush the holes after every meal for about a month if I recall it right.

11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Had mine cut out twenty years ago. No problems, I remember them telling me, no spitting, no smoking, and no sucking through a straw. I think you could get what is called, dry socket. Anyway, I chewed tobacco and dipped no stop by then, so I was conserned about spitting. However, no problem. Good Luck:D

12. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I just read what I posted. I wanted to say, but apparently didn't type right. "I chewed tobacco and dipped non stop back then"

13. lady estrus

lady estrus 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2008
    Ky
    He didnt give my anything until the follow up except pain killers. From that point on he told me to flush everyday until the holes were completely closed and that took about 2 1/2 months.. The first night I flushed there was a nerve that was exposed and when the water hit it and I was in so much pain that I couldnt sleep..the only thing I could do was cry and pray that it would stop.:( That lasted about 3 days after I would flush after every meal. I wouldnt go through that agian for nothing.

Thats the type of syringe he gave me also.

14. thunderchicken09

thunderchicken09 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Its great, they give u a bottle of loratabs. You can re-up on them too.

15. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    I had all four of mine cut out at 0800. I took one pain pill when I got home, and I ate lunch that same day. :) ez as u please for me!