Have you seen a Grouse in Kentucky Lately? If so when, and where

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by billproxs, Nov 30, 2010.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Old enought to draw a crazy check for chasin a bird around that seems to be non existant:) I don't know the answer to the decline, but I do know habitat is being created everyday in my kneck of the woods. I'm not gonna rely on the FW, GHA, or whatnot to make birds for me to hunt. If you do that, you may never see a bird on public ground. I don't hunt public, I hunt 100 percent private. Ill leave it to the poor landowners around here who need a lil extra to have their logs hauled away. Some may say, "Well that aint helping out none." No on public its not. For what I hunt, it is. We know our biggest factor on WMAs and whatnot, but on private, I believe its predators. Avian predators more than anything, althought bobcats and yotes are on the rise.

2. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I am still wondering why the KY grouse hunters can't come together for the bird. I too hunt private and some public lands. I am not trying to blame the FW, or anyone. We know there are more predators, less trapping, woods opened up more with ATV,s and horse back riding, etc. Is it just me or do we grouse hunters have to always make it about where we hunt? I am 54 years old and whatever we could do to improve grouse hunting is probably not going to help me personally. Why can't we come together as a voice, with some energy, and effort for the bird in general? Maybe WMA's would be the place to start, maybe it is to have a voice through Kentucky Grouse Hunters Assoc. I just believe if we as KY grouse hunters continue to do what we are doing now, we are going to continue to see what we see now a decline in grouse, and maybe in the future even no grouse season in KY.

3. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Add up all the revenue in deer, turkey, and elk tags. Then add up all the revenue brought in from small game. Who is the money generator? Money is the root of all evil, even for us hunters. I feel we would be fighting a losing battle. I dont know of any habitat being created on the WMAs or other public grounds. Maybe Birdman can chip in on this and provide some info. Id throw a few extra bucks away to some resource if I knew it was being used right. To line the pocket of someone over it, no! I dont get out much, but has the RGA created any habitat in KY?

4. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I helped organize a KY chapter of RGS and held three banquets. The main reason we don't see any work in KY from RGS is the KY grouse hunters are not coming together. The first two banquets were great success (and the chapters were voiceing that we need to keep a certain % from the banquets for in state work and RGS changed it to were the chapters do) but then our next banquet lost money because of low turn out. So I just am wondering if now maybe the grouse numbers are getting low enough to motivate more grouse hunters to get involved with yes some money, work, and speaking out. I think Ronnie had tried to do a lot of that. I might be interested in doing another RGS banquet if we could get enough interest, I know that will not solve all the problems, but it's a start.

5. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I'm with you on this. I am 55 and I've probably seen the best of times for grouse hunting in KY for awhile, but I am willing to help out as I can. Ronnie is a good person and you seem to be "cut of the same cloth". I work out of state, but try to keep my dues paid up. I'd be willing to contribute a ticket price even if I'm unable to come(would make the effort to attend if at all possible). PM me if Ronnie or you want to make another stab at improving things. I believe our only chance is getting the KY politicians, KY F & W(new guy Dr. Gasson involved), RGS see some member numbers(maybe $ contributions) etc., raffles, guided trips(fund raisers, need to clear with the law) etc., and maybe things would pick up. KY did take Otter Creek Park from Louisville and agree to open it for hunting(2600 more acres available to KY hunters, grouse were on the park). The KY F & W seem to be buying/leasing and even partnering with companies(CONSOL, etc.). I think things are getting to a critical point for KY hunters and maybe for the better. What about foundations with grant money, old timers donating land; there seem to be multiple possibilities if we, hunters our age, stand to the challenge. We are in our prime now, approaching retirement/retired maybe with extra time or income. Let me know if I can help.

6. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Thanks, Jo Dunn and KY Fowl, and others, that's good that's what we need ideas and commitments. I just know if we do nothing we can expect nothing. I have talked with some of the folks employed by the Natl Forest (Daniel Boone) because that is such a vast area, they have experienced cut backs in funds and are more open to outside help. I know they seemed excited about projects like sowing clover on and along tote roads, planting bearing trees etc. I know Ronnie was working on some work days about a year ago in an area. I am ashamed to say with the timeing I never got involved and am not sure what happened with that, or if it is an on going project, or still an open project.

7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I wonder if habitat improvement could be as simple as a bunch of volunteers signing waivers and then hitting the WMA's with chainsaws. I'm sure the bureaucrats won't let that happen, but if a state biologist or forester could paint a red X on a tree, I feel confident that I could lay it down without maiming or killing myself. And that really is what grouse need; trees to be cut.

8. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Yes it can be done and has. It was shut down not because of liability, it was because of inner-politics.

There is some work being done at Paintsville, not near enough, but some. They do need volunteers and saws.

9. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Trust me, that sounds good and I think is a possibility, with the trees being marked, that coupled with some food sowed along the tote roads would be great.
    GSP, do you know if Paintsville have any woek days scheduled after grouse season?

10. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    I am sure there will be. Probaly spring/summer. The KY Grouse Hunters annual meeting is always the last weekend of Feb. The KDFWR always gives updates then.

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I'll gather 1 or 2 hunting buddies from home and be there with bells on then. Im not sure of the answer, but I know sittin in a chair, yakin on the pc to a bunch of strangers isnt going to solve anything.

This work thats being done on Paintsville, how big is it? Is it a 10,100,1000 acre cut? Is FW responsible for this, or is it some other organization twisting some arms?

12. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I will do my best to attend the meeting the last weekend in Feb and bring one or two with me.

13. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    What happened to the KDFWR "burn" guy? I understand we don't utilize his expertise; rather job him out to other states instead.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I think a "burn guy" would be more useful in creating quail and rabbit habitat than for grouse, but I'm curious why a state employee might be jobbed out to other states when he should have plenty of work to do right here.

15. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Yes, that was basically my point. If we don't utilize him, why would anyone expect F&G to do any habitat work for any small game. And from what I've been told, this guy is suppose to be the No. 1 burn guy in the country.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010