Have you seen a Grouse in Kentucky Lately? If so when, and where

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by billproxs, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Boofie

Boofie Fawn

Dec 17, 2010
    I have two, I assume they are the same two, that are fairly regular at my bird feeders and squirrel feeders. As with any other creature, food is usually the key.

2. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    What's the home range of a grouse? Do they travel very far? And do they have any seasonal movements up and down the hillsides (up in the summer, down and to south sides in the winter)?

When you shot out the grouse in that valley you were talking about, did it talk long for new grouse to show up in there?

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Their home range is supposed to be just a few acres. When the chicks scatter in October, their flight may take them for miles, often ending by smacking into a plate glass window. Once they get a home, they stay put.

When training pups I've often found the same bird repeatedly in the same cover, and I'm talking a space about 30'x30'. If they have food and shelter, it's home until something eats them. They are fairly low on the food chain.

4. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    For years now it has been more about the dogs and bird work for me. I wouldn't hunt grouse without a dog.
    I have been blessed to hunt through the good years in KY. Started hunting in 1972 and so was able to shot my limit a few times over points here in this state. So much has chaged and the grouse are on a bad decline in KY.
    Have you guys really thought about how we can come together as grouse hunters in this state and get serious about the bird we love?
    How many are members of KY Grouse Hunters Assoc? RGS?
    How many would be willing to devote time to improve habitat?
    What are your thoughts?

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm surrounded by private land. Habitat is all about timber prices around here. Grouse need large tracts of clear cuts to thrive, not just a few acres here and there scattered about. That much habitat management is a lot to ask of a landowner unless they get a hefty payday out of it.

6. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
  7. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I'm a member of the QU, QF, KY Grouse Hunters Assn., and RGS. I hunt grouse in eastern KY and WI. I'd be glad to help out. I think it is possible to improve both grouse/quail hunting in KY. It will take an interest group with members to get the politicians and industry to work together with this aim though. I try to stay up on the KY Div of F & W efforts for improving Upland Game hunting in KY. Anything I can do, somebody tell me. I'm willing to work on this.

8. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    They are some large scale cuts around where I roam the hills, but for the most part its a holler here an another a mile or so up the road. Not much you can do to persuade private land owners on habitat. Moanin with the FW is different though.

9. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I am not talking about private land. Private land is just that private!
    I am not talking about just the areas I hunt. I am talking about those of us who have gotten so much from grouse hunting giving something back. I would like to see an upswing in numbers for those who come behind us.

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Trust me, Im following behind you. I could bet the farm there isnt another grouse hunter as young as me in this state. Im not talking about one that comes from the western part to hunt once or twice a year. Im talking about one that is in the woods on the weekends regardless of weather and every day off from work.

Ive been told that we dont even have a forester? I cant say this is the truth, just hearsay. If it is, how do we suppose trees are going to be cut?

11. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I wouldn't bet the farm just yet. I am probably older at 35 but have been hunting grouse since I was 18. I have met a couple guys still in high school in menifee county that hunt them pretty hard.

12. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    I havn't heard anything on the kdfwr about restoring grouse pop. or even the word grouse. I heard about quail 0f which there are none in my area that I've seen. I know grouse is a harder go but I'd like to hear something one way or the other. Anybody heard anything other than the kgha. There are alot of coal co. and logging in my area these days it seems to me that reclaiming could be a obvious beginning or even solution.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I've discussed it with a couple of biologists. They didnt' offer a lot of hope, but I don't think it is fair for us to pin all our grouse hopes on the KDFWR anyway. Since grouse require large areas of successional regrowth, and Kentucky is overwhelmingly privately owned, it really does fall back on private ownership and is out of the KDFWR's hands. The state can't manage your land, and they can't sink money into your land with no guarantee that you'll follow through and do what needs to be done.

One area they can do more about is the WMA's. They aren't cutting any trees on WMA's that I'm aware of, and that is what it will take. But even if they managed for grouse and it went great, the WMA's in the eastern part of the state run small, so they could create a fabulous grouse habitat on one, and in the course of a weekend all the grouse could be taken.

I'm not convinced there are any solutions.

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I don't want to ruffle any feathers,:) but, I have known a few "dedicated" bird hunters in my time. Take my neighbor for instance, he was always complaining about the lack of quail. "No quail, no quail, don't even hear one in the summer anymore, don't pay a feller to even keep a bird dog anymore..bla, bla, bla!" Well, finally a few birds started to return one summer, I heard and saw them pretty regular that year. The neighbor was tickled to death, said he loved to hear them, and what a good feeling just knowing a few are still around! Later that fall a nice big covey formed.... He never stopped "working his dog" that fall untill ever last one was in his vest..:( That was 10 or so years ago..I've seen one pair since then..

I have a few grouse here on the farm as well. I gave a grouse hunting neighbor permission to hunt a few years back. He and his buddy saw 7 that day and killed 3. He stayed in my holler that whole winter trying to get the others.. I didn't let him hunt the next year. Don't take me wrong, I like to see people enjoy the resource, but I draw the line when I feel it becomes exploiting the resource.

15. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky

How old is the youngest Grouse Hunter in KY then?