Have y'all heard about some group trying to get .223's banned from deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    JD: I don't believe it's correct to refer to this as an "LKS" proposal. It wasn't. Somebody within the LKS proposed it as a resolution, but it was withdrawn. We don't know why it was withdrawn prior to a vote, but the most likely reasons were the same as those expressed in this thread. In other words, the proponent may have realized that it would not pass within the LKS and chose to withdraw it.

I agree with your assessment that the availability and prevalence of AR guns and ammo would likely greatly improve proficiency. I also believe that a .223 with an appropriate bullet Is plenty sufficient to kill deer. It would be beyond bizarre to me to eliminate a fairly popular hunting caliber (I'd guess maybe 10% of all hunters and maybe 30% of all kids hunt with that caliber) at the same time they are looking for ways to reduce hunter attrition and kill more deer. Interestingly, Cabela's, among other retailers, doesn't sell AR magazines (5 rounds) that are legal for hunting.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    BF.... might be splitting hairs but it's not like this resolution came about from an anti-hunting group or lay anti-gun person off the street. It wasn't presented in legislation nor proposed by KDF&WR or commission.

This derived from an LKS member or member club... to the extent it was proposed as a resolution ... that correct me if I'm wrong ...would have been voted on at the 2017 LKS Convention at Jenny Wiley.

Which I'm glad it was pulled beforehand but that doesn't negate the fact that at some point it existed in some form as a proposed LKS Resolution.

Which I'm understanding it's not a reflection of the LKS as a whole. But some portion of ownership is hard to deny.

As such ... and another good example of how things get lost in translation ... my FIL bought his senior license recently from Walmart at Hopkinsville and was told there's a 2-buck limit for this upcoming deer season.

Which in the sense can be looked at humorously... but in the bigger picture the communication on many fronts could be better. There's too much mis-information out there. Which I don't know if it was caused by the KDF&WR's survey or if it's a case as this minimum caliber discussion.

I'll also edit to add.... concerning AR magazines or otherwise.. the deer regs require magazines to hold no more than 10 rounds.. not 5 as you mentioned.

Which 10 round p-mags are pretty prevalent at most places around here.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    I startd in 1977 and Hunted Kleber Wildlife and that was my 1st hunt and it was an odd ending number on the license hunt weekend.I went with my brother and I remember reading up while we were at his place in Frankfort before the hunt and it stated that a mi nium of 100 grain bullet weight and yes that a slug of 20ga was the only shotgun that could be used not a 28 or a .410ga or anything under a centerfire with a bullet weight of 100grain!Now you can call Buddy Howard the Chief Game Warden at that time and he still lives in Frankfort and I am sure he will remember the same as I do.I know several of those Game Wardens since I was wheelchair bound from a wreck in 1973 and they gave me special permission to use a vehicle as a shooting platform.Call the #1 Game Farm and they can verify what I say if you don't believe me...Just as JD Miller said .243 was the lowest caliber but had to have a bullet weight of 100 grain or more and ammo for that rifle was hard as hell to find since 85 was the most common for it..

4. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016

If you remember in an earlier Post I said things were going to change because of the Insurance companies paying out so much.Well it may be more if you get your 2 bucks and that was in the 80s when it 1st happened and now again so trust me things will be a lot different this year and you may have to take a doe or 2 along with the extra buck..I haven't got mine yet but waiting on the exemption card which is probably in my PO box now and I haven't been in almost 2 weeks due to a broke leg I have been fighting with.I think that it was 1988 best I remember when they let us take 2 bucks for the 1st time and it only lasted just 3 years and a no-shine law went into effect that year too,you couldn't look at deer with a spotlight or with headlightsonly farmers in normal operation could be in a field and use the lights from is tractor and he had to be feeding...

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Other than some random dude at a Walmart somewhere in KY, has a 2 buck limit been proposed?

I've heard the insurance company theory my whole life. If KYDFW was truly in cahoots with insurance companies, would they not have kept the original 2 buck limit instead of decreasing it to two? They already have unlimited does in a large portion of the state, why not make it unlimited does for the entire Commonwealth of they wanted to appease the insurance companies?

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I personally don't think you'll see a two buck limit ,unless it is tied to get more does killed.They will cater to the insurance company's if they can,but they're not going to take any chance of losing the high dollars ,coming into the state for having trophy bucks to hunt.It's all about dollars.

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I would guess that they will give you more doe tags when you purchase your license. Instead of getting one you get free. This way you do not have to purchase the extra tags. It may help to get a few more doe killed.

8. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    That's something I saw on the news 1 night about a week 1/2 ago and out of Lexington.I don't know anything yet of the 2 buck harvest but I will know soon enough when I get my license this week or next.They should have the harvest magazines out for the fish and wildlife with proposed sections on deer harvest..Has anyone looked at the site online for the game farm?I will check it out if not and see in afew..

9. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Well I checked and there isn't anything posted yet about the harvest of what or how many just sub sections of whats legal and about CWD to youth regulations only..Guess we will have to wait until a game officier tells something or we get the Deer/Elk Quota Harvest magazines!So until then only what I heard on the news and that was on Channel 18 WLEX so you may contact them for info I guess about it...

10. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    "Some portion of ownership"???? What? Some unknown member of the League proposed it and then withdrew it. It wasn't even voted on by the League members, let alone passed.

Good grief, implying that an entire organization is responsible for the views of possibly a single member is about as unfair an assessment as you can make, particularly when that organization is very likely to reject those views.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

BF.... you might try re-reading this thread. I've never implied this reflected on the LKS as a whole... even stated it to a response to your post.

This is a copy & paste of one of the post made here...

The 24 caliber minimum requirement for deer resolution has been withdrawn. This resolution would have been voted on during the LKS convention to be held in early June. If approved it would have been sent to the KDFW commission for further action.

IMO this was a good resolution and I have heard comments that make good points both for and against it.

Bringing these type of issues up allow the Sportsman the opportunity to voice opinions and give KDFW and legislators info on how to best serve us.

Thanks to all that commented.

Lee Wild
    Director 6th District Federation
    League of Ky. Sportsmen

As such....I'm not an enemy of the LKS and never have been. Which you can spin it however you want... but this did not originate from thin air.

Be it came from one member or 20...it gained traction within the LKS and obviously supported by the LKS Director of the 6th district federation as he stated " IMO this was a good resolution."

To state the LKS doesn't have any ownership in this is quite humorous.