Have y'all heard about some group trying to get .223's banned from deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Thanks for the update.

Which again I'm meaning no disrespect but I think this thread is somewhat proof of how things get lost in translation. As apparently it was a proposed resolution for a .24 minimum caliber yet one specific caliber being 223 was singled out in this discussion.

In turn this was an LKS resolution ...not KDF&WR directly considering this change. To me that's how easy things get blown out of proportion.

Which from past experience many of the LKS resolutions passed at the convention never evolve into KDF&WR changes. The comission has them presented and puts them to committe / biologist for review ... but they never materialize into an actual reg change.

This is where further transparency is needed with the LKS to communicate what's being proposed to the sportsmen of the state... not just LKS members. Which the LKS here in the Purchase as example is non-existent outside of the county involving the director or board lives in.

Which Ive lived in Murray basically all my life and have never seen an advertisement put in the local papers concerning meetings, issues or any attempt to expand membership with local chapters. The same could be said of district 2 as well.

So in a nutshell you have a handful of membership promoting changes based on their desires and in no way does that equate to representing all sportsmen of the state. Which breeds desention no matter how good or bad the resolution is.

Which again ... no disrespect and my own personal thoughts here. As the LKS has done good things and sportsmen need that representation. But the league needs to commit to increase membership and broaden communication to ensure sustainability. If not we will see a continual increase in circumvention of the process by political means.

KY Swamp Beagler and gdb like this.
  2. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Well said. I'm the one who posted this & had no idea the actual proposal was for a .24 caliber minimum. What was presented to our club was specifically directed at .223's and appeared to be just one person's personal axe-to-grind. There was no indication that LKS was involved.

3. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Yes Thanks for the update as many were wondering about that and was worried that they would have to purchase a new firearm to hunt with..Good going!

4. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    I say it was where there were so many using the .17 caliber that was a centerfire that brought this up and they can take a deer down just nthe same as a .22 LR which is not allowed being a rimfire round..

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'm just glad my .25 acp is still a legal deer round.

6. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    May be small but will kill a buck no doubt and had a friend that killed 1 with a .25 auto and shot it 3 times downing the buck..

7. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Although the proposed resolution may have been broadly worded to exclude any caliber smaller than a .24, there is absolutely no question that AR's (.223/5.56) were a primary target.

IMO, its passage (which apparently did not happen) would have been a colossal mistake.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Im glad it didn't pass but didn't Ky have a .24 cal rule at one time?

9. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Yes there was a 100 grain bullet weight that was in effect and the .410 shotgun couldn't be used until they found out it was the same as a .44 mag when shooting deer so they dropped it to all centerfire legal and now they want to take the AR out is mainly what it come down to this time..Game Warden stated this saying they were going to implement a .24 caliber but too many people had small caliber rifles meaning a lot would have to buy a new rifle so they decided if they want to control the deer population was best left it as is..They are wanting more deer taken than whats been the past 10 years and Insurance Companies have paid out too much due to accidents with deer crashes so they may have a bigger harvest than just 2 it may go to 3 or 4 taken by a single hunter for afew years..Ins Companies were the criers and FG&W had to listen and react but with no exception did they go with a .24 caliber only rule this time but look for it to be raised again in the coming years(IMHO).

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I believe it use to be worded as the minimum caliber was 243... but I've slept since then.

Which in this case "if" a minimum caliber was deemed necessary ..... they could have stated a 222 or 223 minimum. This would eliminate anything below these caliber designations all the way to the 22 Hornet & 17 caliber variations in centerfire. Which I think would be understandable with most and acceptable.

But I agree with BF..... some how the focus with this and the LKS appeared to be the 223 /5.56.

Which again in relation to statements here..... this was an League of Ky Sportsmen resolution..... and not necessarily anything KDF&WR's was considering at present. In turn the how or why part of this how it came about in the first place is unknown. Because if you want to lump wounded & un-recovered deer in the mix... it happens with all methods and calibers. Which if you get down to the nut cutting... probably more deer are wounded & unrecovered with the 30-30, 270 or 30-06 as any caliber just because their a popular deer round. As such... especially the AR-15 platform... I'd say most adults put a little more thought into bullet weight & type with the 223 before heading afield and with the economical factor of ammo... probably get more trigger time overall from a profiency standpoint.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I've heard tales that a .223 will kill hell out of crop damage deer. I imagine any doubters could go on a ride along one night with a farmer when he's doing crop damage culling and see for themselves.

12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea, I believe your right..I was thinking .243 for some reason. If I remember correctly not too long ago the .410 slug was also illegal.

13. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I started deer hunting in the late 70's .... all I remember from the KDF&WR regs was a minimum rifle caliber being 243 on rifle and 20 gage concerning slugs.

That said.... I don't remember anything about any caliber with minimum 100 grain bullet weight.

Which I'm not saying it wasn't by any means... just saying I just don't remember that aspect. Which I started with a 30-30 as my first deer rifle and it honestly didn't pertain to me with what I was using.

In turn... the present regs allowing any centerfire rifle or handgun calibers has been fairly recent... as around the last 10-15 years.

15. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I started early seventy's also,I've searched but can't find anything ,but that's exactly what I remember .243 on rifle ,don't remember anything about minimum bullet weight.I started with an old 30-30 so didnt affect me either.My memory not quite like it use to be though,not beyond being wrong.