Have y'all heard about some group trying to get .223's banned from deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Mar 21, 2017.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Care to fill us in on the "big changes" you speak of ??

Other than the KDF&WR's survey awhile back that reaked of "trophy buck" mentality ... I haven't heard of anything of any certainty.

Generally speaking on the 223 subject ... can't see it being specific just for this one caliber. There's a whole slew of like centerfires and smaller that are legal under the no minimum "any centerfire" regs at present.

Which personally I have no issue with 223. The AR platform alone is such an adaptable platform for anyone especially kids. Now would it be my choice to use for deer... probably not... I've got better choices.

Which in the bigger picture I'm doubtful that the 223 accounts for any more wounded deer than any other caliber or method. Just boils down to a piss poor shot is a piss poor shot. Unfortunately you can't regulate common sense & ethics no matter what restrictions / rules in place.

Brsutton86, aceoky and Lady Hunter like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    He says it was a hundred yards. He may have been a bad judge of distance an it could have been 125. Lots of margins of error in his statements

Lady Hunter likes this.
  3. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Although I've got probably better tools for the job (.270win, .50cal muzzleloader, and, compared to .223, even a freakin' 7.62x39 AK), I'm going to try one of my ARs this next season. All of my shots are in the woods at fairly close ranges. I have some Federal Fusion 62gr soft points that reliably rang the 12" steel plate at 100 yards a few days ago so I'm planning on trying it.

Being presbyopic (that means I wear bifocals, for y'all on my ignore list), I absolutely love my red dot sight and I'm totally looking forward to using it deer hunting.

4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Father in law has used a 223 past 14 years no issues. And from talking with folks we just dont take practice as serious as we once did. We use to save milk jugs all summer and before each season gun and muzzle loader we each would shoot 10-20 rounds at jugs a week before season. Now I now we have better and more accurate targets that have 1/2 squares on them but I still like seein that jug explode and water shootin 5 ft in the air. Do you remember when Uncle Jed and Jethro had smeared molasses on the concrete wall and Mr. Drisdale said you are shootin flies at 100+ yards? And Uncle Jed says I now not much sport, but the trick is to wing them. Words to live by.

davers and Lady Hunter like this.
  5. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    For starters the changes to Elk tags came down to the Commissioners from the Govenors office.

This proposed caliber restriction is aimed at trying to passify the the need for pushing a new Wanton Waste law.

The push for a Wanton Waist law comes aparently from someone who has harvested an Elk and left the carcass in the field to spoil.

Also there has been discusion of if a hunter wounds an animal they must use or for lack of better terminology burn that tag on that wounded unrecovered animal.

As I hear discusion of other possible changes I can let you know or you can talk to your LKS rep or attend the next LKS meeting in your area.

gdb and labwild like this.
  6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    No disrespect intended and just making a generalized statement here.... but how does adressing problems with elk equate changes to the deer regs??

There's already a minimum caliber restriction for elk being 270. In turn ... I can sympathize with an elk left to spoil just as I see deer with their heads cut off along the roads of Ky. Unfortunately wanton waste laws will not stop either to a significant degree. Which the law itself won't have any effect if you don't have the manpower to catch & enforce to begin with. Which there lies the problem.

Also don't see how you can enforce a reg to make anyone use a tag on an unrecovered animal. As the animal is not physically there to prove it did or didn't occur. Which there's some validity with elk and guide services as witness. But to try to enforce that on deer as example ...on private ground ... impossible to prove period.

To me this sounds like a bunch of feel good laws being proposed / discussed stemming from a small portion of the state with elk. Which to me they need to stay confined to elk specifically and maybe bears.

But for 95% of the rest of the state ...dealing with whitetails and over population problems... it won't be well received by sportsmen.

aceoky likes this.
  7. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    No disrespect interpreted on this end.

I agree with you totally. But The problem with Government is that they tend to paint everything with a broad brush. I can easily see them changing the deer regs due to a problem they are having with Elk and Bear regs.

I would recomend to any KY sportsmen that if you want to be a part of what changes are sent to the KY legislature join the LKS and attend the LKS meetings. The LKS is our voice to Fish and Wildlife, the Commission and the KY legislature.

gdb and labwild like this.
  8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    This stinks of an AR platform hit piece. Anti-gun nuts have been screaming for years that "black rifles" have no real sporting use, but in the last 15 or more years they have been proven wrong. If they can convince enough states to go along with this, they can get some of their mojo back.

aceoky and Lady Hunter like this.
  9. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    It was a bullet weight of 100 grains that could be used and .410s were out of it totally until they found they pack as hard of an impact as the .44mag did.Then they changed to any center fire cartridge to legal to hunt with and that goes back to the 80s when it started up and in the 70s was they were not allowed..

10. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    The LKS may be "your voice" but it's not the voice of Ky sportsmen & women, hasn't been for a long while IMO that being said I agree with JD , they're wasting time even considering changes like this on deer they certainly do not have the ability to enforce it even IF passed and a large chunk of KY will be highly POED (there is no "upside" here)

11. geschoss

geschoss Fawn

Nov 10, 2011
    The .223 Remington / AR-15 works. The 65 grain Sierra broke the left shoulder and totally destroyed the lungs at 50 yards.

Attached Files:

12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    To add to what I said in an earlier post, They don't need to change the law, they really need to educate the hunters about bullet performance and the ballistic performance in the rifles the choose. Ignorance of their equipment is the most glaring problem I've witnessed in person. To many people that shoot on occasion and maybe hunt once and a while, a bullet is a bullet. They have limited knowledge of a varmint bullet compared to a medium or large game hunting bullet. More knowledge, not less rifle choice.

gdb likes this.
  13. plh01

plh01 Fawn

Jan 22, 2017
    Our county has a unlimited doe quota. Last year, 2015 I took 6 doe with a 223, the year before I shot 7. Several were in the 125 to 95 yard range. None ran more that 25 yards after being shot, most just dropped. I am 63 years old and shoot a Steyr Scout, and an LWRC AR15 platform. I usually use a 77 or 75 grain Boat Tail hollow point. I feel the competency of the shooter is where the real issue is. On my property I have more issues with wounded deer from bow hunters. I have had the same hunters, bow and gun for over 12 years now. They are good hunters, but over the past 30 years of closely watching my farm harvest records, I have a good count of deer shot and not found. I would hate to loose the ability to hunt deer with a 223.

Lady Hunter likes this.
  14. CaseyRebel

CaseyRebel Fawn

Nov 22, 2016

Yeah and shoot a bee you lose your turn!

15. labwild

labwild 6 pointer

Jan 29, 2006
    Mercer Co., Ky.
    The 24 caliber minimum requirement for deer resolution has been withdrawn. This resolution would have been voted on during the LKS convention to be held in early June. If approved it would have been sent to the KDFW commission for further action.

IMO this was a good resolution and I have heard comments that make good points both for and against it.

Bringing these type of issues up allow the Sportsman the opportunity to voice opinions and give KDFW and legislators info on how to best serve us.

Thanks to all that commented.

Lee Wild
    Director 6th District Federation
    League of Ky. Sportsmen

gdb likes this.