hate or scared off the dark

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by mulehead, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Despite the big cat my hunting buddy swears he saw in my area several years ago, as long as I'm armed it doesn't bother me. Until the bears find their way over here, there's not really that much out there that I figure won't get more than a bite or two before I start pumping lead into it.

2. Anse

Anse 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    well scared of the Dark??.......maybe the spooks and zombies might be in you alls area.....BeWare.......

3. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Actually, I enjoy walking in the dark. It feels peaceful to me.

4. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I'm not really scared of walking in the dark, but my imagination runs wild of what deer I may have jumped going in. Did that big buck I'm after change his patterns, because I bumped him in the dark and never knew it?

I had about 8 deer around me last night at dark. I tried doing all sorts of calls from my phone: chicken calls, coyote calls, hurt puppies, etc. The deer never left, so I had to push them anyways. However, off in the distance I heard coyote howls. I did get me thinking about how smart it was to use coyote calls to push deer out of a field haha.

5. Greenwilly

Greenwilly 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2006
    Shelby Co.
    A few years ago a was sneaking into my stand at dark, I just had a creepy feeling so I started scanning the field edges with my light. There we eyeballs looking back at me every where I looked! Lesson learned, sometimes it's best not to know!

6. Elmotatum

Elmotatum 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2013
    Western Ky
    I've got a abandon house on the property I hunt. Still has the glass in the windows an in decent shape. It's a old homestead from 30's or so. I love to shine my light in the windows as I walk by. Hoping to see something duck away from the window. Haven't seen that yet. Never fails to raise the hair on my neck though !

7. Lost_in_the_woods

Lost_in_the_woods 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2008
    graves county
    I aint terribly afraid of the dark and dont mind at all if the moon is out. I do use a light for safety mostly. I have actually walked right up on a doe that was nosing around in a place where deer were killed the day before. She didn't leave until I was completely up the tree.

8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Never bothered me walking in the dark but I always use a red headlamp. I figure if it's there in the dark then it's there in the light as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I have 2 places I hunt that are called the haunted house holler. There old home "over 100 years old" as you walk in about 200 yards from the truck. Very weird and spooky. The problem is the old man and women died and they never wanted hunters on there land. I asked them years ago and they where mean and told me to get off there land and to never be on there land again. Really hateful people. Now, there daughter owns it and they let me hunt there and they live in Florida. Every time I walk in the place and pass the old abandoned house I keep thinking there ghost is going to come out of the house and run me off the property in the dark. The holler behind the house goes for over a mile and is really dark and spooky and really eery. Even on days that are really sunny it is dark and spooky. But, that place is full of deer so that makes me think positive. Still weird though. And in the dark, the whole dang place is super freaky. Spider webs everywhere

10. Crossbow Hunter

Crossbow Hunter 6 pointer

Jun 23, 2014
    Here and There
    Never really bothered me to much but I do feel better once im up the tree. I also use a red headlamp and I have seen two does laying next to each other and the sun came up not 20' from my tree so I have used red light ever since.