Hatchery Creek ?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by GrayWill17, May 24, 2017.

1. GrayWill17

GrayWill17 Fawn

Dec 3, 2015
    Ive picked up fly fishing recently over this last year. Ive mostly fished for Trout out of state but I've finally gotten some time off work and I want to go to Hatchery Creek. Ive heard a lot of good things about this place and I was wondering if anyone has been there recently and if so how were the Trout biting? Im thinking about taking my fly rod and reel and just a spinning reel to fish. Anybody got any suggestions for lures or rigs for a fly or spinning reel for hatchery creek as well? Any info or help is very much appreciated!

2. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I haven't been in a few months. The guy who designed it/guides on it has a FB page he posts on. Just look for hatchery creek on FB.

Last time I was there I caught them on a mini olive bead head bugger with a little flash then switched to nymphing under an indicator.

If I was going to spin fish I'd use a very small rooster tail in white or yellow.

GrayWill17 likes this.
  3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I just read an article about Hatchery Creek earlier in the week. But I don't remember where I say it at. :(

4. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Check out Brad Redmon if you are on Facebook. He is the guy talked about above.

5. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I usually use very small flies there. 18-22s. Some of the best have been Pheasant tails, Zebra Midge and a kind of Psysho Midge thing I make ( 20 with a tiny red bead(shiny)with a collar of uv red and body of orange mylar. I think it looks like a very tiny egg. Fish with or without an indicator. I prefer wo. and some weight to get you down. Good Luck

6. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Any chance you could post a pic of that psycho midge?

7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I will try. All my boxes are in KY in the boat. We will be down tonight and Ill try post a pic tomorrow.

Tim T likes this.