Harvest total

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by whiteoakcreek, Nov 19, 2014.

1. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Just checked the total harvest, 112,000 and some change. Coming off last years record kill and this years high mast crop I expected a down year. But it looks like we could come close to last years 144,000. Parts of the state still have till Sunday, plus the late muzzleloader, late youth and the rest of bow season. Thoughts?

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I think we'll hit 150,000 this year.. It's a record pace for sure...

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    More hunters=more deer killed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. kyboydbowhunter

kyboydbowhunter 8 pointer

Sep 21, 2011
    I would like to see us hit 160,000

5. tmayn031

tmayn031 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    nky
    Snuck out for a few hours tonight and only heard one shot. Warm weekend ahead which may keep them hunkered down. It'll be close in my opinion.

6. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Honestly, I was hoping to see the harvest go down this year, especially here in the southeast. I've seen a lot less deer this year and I know a lot of that is because of the ridiculous acorn crop this year but I really believe the herd here in Laurel Co isn't near what it was in the early 2000's. Laurel being a zone 3 for several years and the EHD out brake in '08 or '09 ( can't remember which it was for sure ) I think really put a hurtin on the deer numbers around here.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I know the herd in the area of Mammoth Cave I'm hunting is down. I've hunted there off and on since the mid 80's. I was talking with the landowner opening weekend, and he commented on it. He said "It used to sound like a war around her in gun season....." I hunted there 3 sits over two weekends, and heard perhaps 30 shots, and nothing close at all....

8. whiteoakcreek

whiteoakcreek 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2009
    Marion County
    Honestly the deer numbers where my land is in Marion county has been down for the last 10 years or so. Maybe more people are calling them in now since telecheck review became available.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I was shocked by how low the numbers here in Anderson Co. are right now. I know we haven't seen as many deer as usual (either at the house or at the farm) but still didn't expect this low of a harvest.

10. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    I think the deer herd in Carter Co is stable but hunter numbers are down.

11. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I agree...at least for Pendelton County. Both gun weekends were absolutely perfect weather for hunting and every parcel is loaded up with orange like it was public land. More shooting than I have heard since I got this property in 2001. My guess is the numbers will be very high again.

Wow. Just checked. This county is already over 2700...more than the total just a couple years ago. Was a record last year and this year might blow it away.

At some point I wonder when we will dip too far into the cookie jar and whether that is really the goal.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  12. iwant2killbambi

iwant2killbambi Spike

Sep 3, 2007
    Who knows...Older guys I know tell me back in the day seeing a deer track was news worthy. Then I listen to my dad talk about the 90's and it sounds like gun season was a time to hunker down when the shooting started and success was practically a matter of time. We don't see the deer we used to see. I'm talking hunting or driving down the road. I'm not a bow hunter elitist (if such a thing exists) but I would be curious to see what would happen to size/health of deer and size of deer population if gun season was only a weekend or two (no gun hunting during the week) or if other restrictions were set in place such as shotgun only for modern firearm season. The flip side of the coin is overpopulation of deer which is also a bad thing.

13. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    I'm 58 now and saw my first deer in the woods of eastern KY when I was 16. No one believed me, thats how rare deer were then. Amazing come back by the deer, thanks KDFW !

14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I'm 41 and grew up a few miles from the BGAD and remember getting so excited when we'd drive by there and see deer. We'd small game hunt around the house and I knew every one back then and could walk for miles and hunt neighbors land. Never jumped a deer until I was a teenager. Everywhere now! Sad thing is now that people deer hunt around the old homestead no one lets you hunt anymore. Didn't care when there were no deer.

15. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Seems like the harvest in the late 70's was around 20,000 statewide. Someone may know the actual numbers.