Harvest down (?)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaman, Nov 30, 2020.

1. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Here it is, 11/30, and this was going to be a record year for KY deer hunters. However. . .

https://app.fw.ky.gov/harvest/HarvestCompByMonth.asp

It would seem that the statewide numbers for November are much lower than normal.

September was phenomenal. October was on-track. November? You have got back to 2012 to see similar numbers.

What's up with that? Weather? Too few hunters? Covid?

I'm just asking. Somebody fill me in.

2. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 12 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    There is still 49 day of archery including a week of muzzleloader and 2 days of youth firearm. With that said Im leaning toward a number of things. Late start for firearm season mixed with temps and moon faze. Also theres a chance a large number of people who tagged there buck early didn't go doe hunting. With all that 20 thousand plus deer might be a hard order to fill to match last season. 742072B7-CC6E-4AF3-B344-7978578C5D85.png

3. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Wow, we took 7 deer off our farm this year which is the highest ever. I figured numbers would be much higher.

4. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Im not sure on that, around here and surrounding counties, i would almost have to think, would be or close to a record, i have seen on telecheck, as high as one person killing 5 deer, and personally know a girl that killed 5, which is great, if you want them, the only people i know, that didnt kill a deer, was ones just waiting on a big buck, and they had lots of opportunities, just passed them. But for the rest of the state , i dont have a clue.

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Ah jeez... Anderson Co has the lowest November harvest since 1999.... It doesn't surprise me - we just didn't see the deer to shoot. Everythng went nocturnal before rifle season began & is still that way. They just flat out weren't moving during the daytime. We were hoping for one more for us & our friend and his son REALLY wanted to get one but you've got to see them before you can shoot 'em... We tried different locations and booked more hours in the field than ever before & they just weren't there. Felt kinda bad about shooting bucks as small as we did this time but I'm darned glad we did now - or else we'd really be short on meat for the coming year.

Grago likes this.
  6. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    ML season, might be better for yall..

7. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    we are down about 350 deer from last year maybe muzzle season will be better . I killed a doe opening weekend seen 6 bucks but to small to shoot so iam hopeing muzzle season will be a lot better for us

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Numbers are slightly higher than last year but overall many eastern Kentucky counties numbers are way down. Ours are still half what they were before the outbreak

Munson likes this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Y'all underestimate how many "trophy hunters" buy tags every year. Better than half around here will only shoot a Hawg, and the vast majority of that half end up not shooting a damn thing. I bet it's 15-1 doe to buck ratio around here. Then they'll brag about seeing 30 deer every sit, but nothin worth shooting. No damn wonder. Sorry, I got off track.
    Total harvest doesn't mean the population is down, is all I mean. TV has made most hunters antler whores, anymore.

10. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I personally thought it was a tough gun season. I thought might have something to do with a later opening day than most years. It would be good if hunters harvested more does but I’m guilty of not taking my share. So many does that lots don’t get bred first time around it does make secondary rut late season some real good hunting for those who wanna get back after them.

BootsOn27 and Grago like this.
  11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I think the weather had the biggest impact. With most hunters hunting only the weekends, we had wind and rain for half of them. I was out there in it and besides never seeing a deer those days, I never saw another hunter or heard any shots. I've never hunted a season with as many rainy days and windy days as this one.

Grago and trapper perry like this.
  12. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Covid, poor opening weekend weather on the western half, people holding out for the "big one", Biden depression, mobile phone game play while hunting, Antifa, BLM, Dallas Cowboys, saving ammo for the end of times, etc......

flyingnectar, EasyE, nat103 and 7 others like this.
  13. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Could lack of deer processors be part of the problem? Several locally that are full time butcher shops were not taking deer, and several of the deer processors didn't open for business.

14. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    So are you saying this made hunters shoot less deer or perhaps they just processed the deer themselves and didn’t tag them in? Does anyone know if there were less hunters this year?

15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I never saw another Hunter on any of the farms I hunt on, usually I will see a bunch of trucks parked watching the big open ridges, not one was ever there this yr.
    Land owners said they hadn't seen anyone around either.

Grago likes this.