Happy ending to last nights daddy/daughter hunt.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Iceman35, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    A good follow up to last nights "Frosty" thread.

My 8 year old and I were hunting out of the blind, and had a mature doe and her fawns come in. Doe busted me mid-draw and trotted off. This buck came in about 30
    Minutes later. Were I by myself, I would have passed on him, but I promised my daughter that if a buck came in, and I had a shot, I would take it. Because of the terrain/brush, I did not see him until he was 20 yards to the left of the blind. That was a window I had open, and the sun was shining right into the blind from the front. I believe he may have been a bit suspicious, and tried to skirt around it along the brush line. There is one small opening, about as wide as a deer, directly in front of the blind along that brush line, and he was heading for it. When I stopped him in the opening, took the shot and heard a high pitched "tick" and then the deeper sound of the arrow hitting the deer. I watched him run the length of the field, and make a hard right at the entrance to a clear cut strip the owner made a couple of months ago to run a water line.

We still had about an hour of daylight left so we took up the tracking. Only hair at the impact sight, no blood, and no arrow. We walked in the field where were he ran, and found some decent blood for about 60-70 yards, but then it stopped. Nothing for another 80 yards or so, right up to the entrance to the clearcut. I decided to walk down the clearcut, which itself is probably 250 yards long. About 175 yards into that, we started finding really good blood for maybe 50 yards, then nothing. At this point I figured he had gotten into the thick stuff on either side and bedded down. Since it was getting pretty dark, I called it a night, much to my daughters disappointment. As we started walking back up the hill, we heard deer making a commotion about 30-40 yards away that I thought was deer fighting, but now I think was him trying to get up and run away and struggling mightily.

Today, got the kids on the bus, and got back out there by about 9:30. I started at the impact sight, trying to find the arrow with no luck. I then went to the clear cut and started finding blood I had missed the night before, and it was really good. I found where he jumped into the brush, and about 3 feet in, found my arrow, head to knock covered in blood, some fat, but no stomach matter. The real good blood started from that point. He ran in about 30 yards, and I found where he had fallen/layed with blood everywhere. I assume that's where he got up when we spooked him. Tracked him a bit farther to the property line and saw a lot of blood on the other side.

This started the effort to find that property owner to gain access. Finally got ahold of him via phone, and he was about the nicest person I've ever spoken to.

Got back to the property line crossing and took up the track again with, giant, softball size blood. Finally found him about 30 yards across the line in nasty thick briars. Landowner and I drug him out to the clearcut and used his tractor to take him back to the house. My daughter was ecstatic when I got her off the bus and told her. My son was pretty fired up as well, but mad because she got to see me take a deer and he didn't. Hit was a little back due to the deflection, but got the liver, and he was apparently up hill a little from me, because the exit hole 5 inches higher up his body, and caught the bottom of the opposite lung. He ran a solid 400 yards on a dead sprint before he lost the arrow.

Despite the fact that he's a buck I normally wouldn't have harvested, I consider it my greatest trophy, because one of my kids was with me. I had more fun on this hunt/track job than any of my wall hangers, because of that. That's really what hunting should be about. Already have plans to do an antler mount on some barn wood, with the kids pictures attached. Damn, getting teared up just thinking about the joy my daughters face seeing those deer last night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. invasion36

invasion36 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for the story and congrats on a trophy you won't forget.

3. farmertom

farmertom 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2011
    Congrats man good times

Sent from my LGL21G using Tapatalk

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Congrats!! Great story.....thanks for sharing!!

5. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Nothing at all wrong with that buck. Being with your kids when it happened....Priceless.

6. docbuck

docbuck 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2014
    western ky
    I am usually very patient but after the season I have and the season of close calls last year I would have dropped him kid or no kid. But I am glad your daughter got to join you for the hunt. My son has been in a tent with me a couple times this year and we have passed on an 8 and several does. He wants me to shoot something so bad, next time we go I am gonna shoot a doe for him for sure.

7. WoodyJ69

WoodyJ69 Fawn

Nov 16, 2012
    Great story - glad you recovered a nice deer. Making memories....that's what it's all about! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. Matthews

Matthews 6 pointer

Aug 8, 2011
    If it makes you and the daughter happy, that's all that matters. Congrats on an exceptional trophy! Your daughter is a doll.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. The Walker

The Walker 6 pointer

Dec 22, 2011
    Nice work! Love the triple brow.

10. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    Love this story and that is a great buck. Any deer with a bow is a trophy in my eyes. Great job and congrats

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Glad you found him. Great story.

12. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Awesome story! Precious hunting partner! Thanks so much for sharing! Congrats a trophy you will never forget!

13. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Congrats. Good story.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That is wonderful!

15. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer