Happens to everybody!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Ginsenghunter, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Lost my 800ac lease in Christian County. MAYBE 200 was woods and that includes fencerows. Lots of pasture and some crop. Just 4 of us had been leasing it and we were giving $12. That is a lot of money for a few regular folk. This year it went to $16000 due to an outside offer. I guess that happens when you manage for several years and people start seeing what we and the road hunters had been killing. Being as there are 3 good spots to hunt on it with any success, we let it go.
    I have a ton of stands to take down, as over the years we tried everywhere on it, but those 3 spots prevailed every year.
    I took a place today in Shelby. Small place, but the topo and aerial look good. I am going up Monday to put out minerals. I imagine the tick spray will be required. Never hunted up that way, but I have seen some good ones killed out of that county.

Who else is trying out a new spot this year?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I also have a new lease in Shelby county, back on Todd's Point. Haven't set any cameras or anything yet, but it's lousy with deer. In the evening it's not uncommon for 60 deer to be in the alfalfa field. It has the numbers, I just don't know if it has any big deer, yet. Time will tell.
    Another plus (my favorite part), of the 200 acres, at least 50 of it holds horses. With all the waste grain and horse chit, the place draws geese like crazy!! Dove hunted next door to it last September, and geese poured into that pasture morning and evening

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    YES IT HAPPENS. happen to me several time on Deer and Waterfowl spots.Get out bid.
    Where about in Shelby is the place? There are good Deer here in Shelby but in some places there is A LOT of hunting pressure. Northern and Eastern parts of Shelby are HUNTED HARD but Western and some Southern aren't as bad.

4. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Been in your shoes buddy! I know how you feel unfortunately!!!!!

5. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Hard to swallow having deer like those that made it, but I am excited about doing inventory on a new herd.
    I like the chess game.

6. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I used to hunt cedarmore until about 3 years ago the property owner sold and retired to Florida. The place was crawling with deer...and trespassers

7. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I'm not next to Cedarmore, but I see it on the map. I have realistic hopes. I'd like to hunt a place where my boys can have shots at 135s and I can have a shot at hunting a 150/60 or 2. I'll try it a year or 2 and see what happens. Trespassers can be dealt with. You just have to want to do it.

8. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Leasing land the worse thing ever eventually only the rich will hunt

9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    If you lease complaining about getting outbid is a bit crazy. It may eventually come to the point leading is the only option but I still meet a ton of landowners that refuse to lease and only give permission. A lot because they know their parents that bought the ground would roll over in their grave if they knew they were charging people to hunt. Plenty of ground still available for free just have to work for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    Just having a conversation. I never complained about getting outbid.
    I prefer leasing. I have full right to prosecute if I catch a trespasser. I control the ingress/egress of any recreational activity. No worries about Joe Blow being in my stand, or hunting rabbits while I hunt deer.
    You go ahead and hunt for free. I'm happy for you.
    'Merica!

11. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    No one should lease leasing is illegal

12. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Leading the worse thing ever eventually all the rich will hunt

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    You talk too much...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

14. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Buy your own land and you won't have to worry about having a spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    unless something has changed, or we were misinformed, not so long ago we were told by a county attorney that only the landowner could prosecute.