Hang on treestand cables

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 4UK, Aug 31, 2014.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Just wandering how often you all check or replace the 2 treestand cables that attach frame to platform on lock on treestands? I replace and examine my ratchet straps each season but just wander about the cables , how weather would effect them after long term use ? Thanks

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I had one a friend gave to me a few years ago. Stand was in great shape. Put it on the tree and went to step out on it with one foot and the cable broke. Luck I did not fall but it sure scared me . After looking at the broken cable found that it was almost rusted into under the coating. Ever since then I second guess using them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I have a ratchet strap and a turnbuckle and chain on every stand. As far as the cables going to the floor, I never thought about it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn 6 pointer

Dec 22, 2005
    Staffordsville,KY
    I try to swap mind out with chains.
    LittleJohn

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Mines not exclusively attached with cables, but also bolted together as part of the frame. I take mine down at the end I each season and examine them. If bolts need replaced, they get replaced. Same for the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk