Hang on stand issue

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Shedhunter4011, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    Lookin for a little advise. I have my hang on stand hung in a tree that leans a little back. so the platform sits on an angle with the front higher than the base against the tree. It's not much but I would prefer a level platform rather then one on an angle. So as I was looking at it, I figure if I place a block (2x4) against the tree at the cleat by the seat that would level things vertically, which in turn would make the platform level. Has anyone ever had to do something like this? Or does anyone have any advise on how to level the platform?

2. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    The biggest issue you'll run into is making sure the 2x4 (if you actually go that route) is sturdy. The teeth are supposed to be gripping into a steadfast tree. put a 2x4 in there, and you've pretty much taken that safety out of the equation. No matter how "secure" the 2x4 is, it'll never hold as well. Once you strap it down tight, wind, rain, and normal wear and tear will eventually loosen it. All it will take for us to read another "hunter falls from his stand" or "stand collapses" story will you choosing the wrong day to get into it.

My advice (and the best advice anyone should give you) is, "If the angle of the stand presents a unsafe or unsettling hunting environment, find another tree."

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    /\ THIS. That is just asking for trouble. Please don't do it as we prefer MOST of our members to not get hurt and become a statistic.

4. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    Yea after thinking about it, the 2x4 thing was NOT going to happen for the exct reasons you had mentioned. The stand its self is secure, and not unsafe in any way. For my own satisfaction I would prefer a level platform, the angle is not much at all, but noticable. And not matter if i'm 3' or 20' off the ground I am harnessed, and hooked to the tree Via lifeline, or tree rope.

Thanks for the Input.

5. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    I don't blame you for asking. Heck, I would be surprised if this idea didn't cross any climber's mind at least once...lol I once tried this (with a thick branch) for all of 5 seconds. The moment I put weight on stand it shifted, yeah, kinda pooped myself!...lol If you are considering it may need adjustment, it probably does. That's the great things about forests, there's always another tree. And the great thing about deer, no matter where you setup, they go wherever the hell they want...lol

6. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    had a buddy that would take an old towel and roll it up then wrap around the tree and that worked to level out a hang on. He would tighten it so tight that it still had a good solid grip and wouldn't move.

7. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    I don't think the issue is if it would be tight. I am sure starting off, it would be great. And hell, he may NEVER have an issue. But speaking from disintegrated strap, and falling stands experience, modifying a safety system is no guarantee of trouble, but it's like playing Russian Roulette. I've slipped in my climber, and had stands start to fall underneath me. I just think no tree is worth possibly dieing over. Getting a trophy buck mounted above your fireplace doesn't mean much when your family puts a urn containing your ashes next to it...

8. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    If its leaned back slightly i think they are more comfortable. Leaning foward is a whole different story. Muddy and a few other companies make stands with a leveling feature.

9. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Yep! Allows you to "sit back" better, almost in a recliner-like position...

10. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Agreed 100%......

11. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    If your a welder take you a stand and cut down and re weld at an angle to fit such trees

12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Hmmmmmmmmm:/

13. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    ummmm yea I don't think I'll be doin that, but thx for the advice

14. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Yall think that wouldn't work or you guys just can't weld?

15. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    i would suspect it is a bit of both. I can say with 100% certainty, if you aren't an accomplished welder, you'll be setting yourself up for a big fall...literally. The torque on the weld, along with the impact force of each "step," would necessitate a perfect weld. Would it work? Ultimately, yes...it would. But it is 1) very dangerous, and 2) unnecessary.

If the factory angle doesn't work...find another tree. This is the best, and truthfully only advice anyone should follow.