Handgun Hunting?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Handloader, Jan 6, 2009.

1. WSM Man

WSM Man 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2008
    Good point

Good question

2. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    That's the guy that did the bulk of reloading for ole handloader.

3. spears08

spears08 Spike

Nov 28, 2008
    Falls Of Rough, Kentucky
    So Handloader , while shooting all of this ammo how many barrels did you wear out in these guns of yours?

I'm in the military , and have served time in Iraq . I myself have fired thousdands upon thousands of rounds either in training or in combat.
    The barrels of our M4's have been cherry red from the heat being produced. Usually resulting in the barrels warping from the excessive stress.
    Now , you were firing how many rounds through this golden .357 of yours each day / for how many hours straight? But by the grace of some higher power from above this same .357 managed to hold true to it's accuracy after all that abuse.
    All I can say then is WOW.

4. CUZZIN

CUZZIN Banned

Jul 25, 2007
    Pump Jack Holler
    Good post I to would like to know the answer. By the way thanks for serving!

5. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    To answer your question I never did wear a barrel out only the the revolver. In that 9 year period of time I wore out 6 Ruger Security SIX revolvers. I mean the wear on those revolvers were so bad some shake and rattle others just have a barrel that has very very very worn rifling.

6. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    All I can say is wow......Why aren't you on an olympic shooting team. Our country needs your skills man.

7. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    I am suprised that nobody has mentioned anything about "popcorn" yet.:)

I am not an avid handgun hunter, nor do i have anything larger than a 9mm glock, which is not suitable for hunting. I probably couldnt hit a school bus at 400 yards with any handgun, nor do i have enough time to practice in order to become proficient enough to do so.

Hitting a coyote at 400 yards is a tall order for a scoped rifle with a projectile travelling over 2500 fps. Even a taller order for for a 6" barrelled .357 magnum revolver, with iron sights. Not saying it couldnt be done, but i guess anything can happen.

I think there is a show on the outdoor channel wed or thur night that has something to do with GUns and Ammo. Impossible shots? This would qualify in my book as one of those.

Chris

8. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

9. mistertwister

mistertwister 6 pointer

Jan 18, 2008
    Williamstown, KY
    Don't they have a Wile Coyote in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade? Now i might stand a chance with that at 400 yards.

:):):)

10. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    It's not IMPOSSIBLE...

There is a group of guys up here that shoot 300 yard silly wets with 4-6" barrel revolvers for fun. They have a consistant hit ratio of about 1-20 on a 2.5'x2.5' target.

11. Triton

Triton 10 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Highway to HELL
    Me tooooo.....

12. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Range handgun shooting practice and competion can be watch on youtube.

13. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    "HandloaderLong Range handgun shooting practice and competion can be watch on youtube."

and ill bet your not one of them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  14. kycowboy

kycowboy Banned

Dec 11, 2004
    fuck off
    You know it's real easy to talk big on this here computer lets see some proof