Handgun Hunting?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Handloader, Jan 6, 2009.

1. RVtech24

RVtech24 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    The Deep Woods

2. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    Yes I expect you to believe it because it is true. I said I stopped handgun hunting in 1992. Before that I had hunted with a handgun since 1976. And lets see I really started long range shootin in 1978. And just maybe I practiced enough. HERE IS THE KEY TO LONG RANGE HANDGUN SHOOTING IT IS PRACTICE. You must understand I shot everyday 300 rounds of Match ammo for NRA Bullseye pistol competion. And another 300 through the mag. So lets see 600 rounds a day. Lets multiply by 7. And that is 4200 rounds of ammo a week. By the month 16800 and finaly by the year201,600 rounds of ammo in pistols. And I continued this for 9 years every day rain or shine. So I think I have the ability to hit a target at 400 yards with a handgun. The better question is do you have that same ability. Because you keep fighting at me saying its not true but I know it is true and 2 close friends know its true they were there when I made the shot. So the better question is can you make the shot. I am 55 years old and went out today and made that same shot on a steel plate. So I do not have to prove anything to you who doubt me and my abilittys.

3. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    Now I really don't believe you, 600 rounds of ammo daily for nine years. Do you read this BS before you click "post reply" ?

4. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    every round is accunted for in my score books for 9 years straight.

5. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    Also headoftheholler are you a competion shooter or just a hunter. Because there is a difference. A hunter only fires may 500 to a 1000 rounds a year. A competion shooter fires any where from 50 to 100 thousand rounds a year. I am a competion shooter and participate in High power rifle, IPSC, Bullseye.

6. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Dang. You shot 1,814,400 rounds in that 9 year stretch. That's quite a bit. I don't know how much it costs to reload, but at a dime a round that would put you up to $181,440 over 9 years. You must have a good job. With such a good job where do you find time to go put 600 rounds through the tube every day rain or shine? Well, with that kind of money I'm sure you have a 400 yard range in your back yard.

7. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    Well to answer you question at the time I had a exclent job. I was a machinest. And reloading supplies were very very cheap. The cost of my ammo varied around 0.01 cent a round to 0.04. I did all my shooting in the after noon and some times I sneeked away from lunch a did a little shooting. The majority of my reloading was done by my friends and by me at the same time. Its good to have friends that are willing to produce ammo for you. Their payment was what ever amount of ammo they wanted. Under 1000 rounds. I had a 1000 yard field for my backyard and it allowed me to practice every form of competion imagiable.

8. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    What exactly is accunting? Do I need to go to school to become an accuntant?:rolleyes:

9. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    What I mean is that every round of ammo I fired in that 9 year time period I recorded in my score books. Also what type of competion do you shoot in. Ipsc, High power, bullseye, skeet,trap?

10. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    This matters not. I'm not the person that joins a forum and immediatly starts bragging about unfathomable feats of accuracy and spouting off about launching millions of rounds of ammo while working a fulltime job.

11. Handloader

Handloader Fawn

Dec 1, 2008
    I am saying that I did. I am not saying that it was not difficult to do at certain times of the year. I was getting off from work at 3 oclok every day so it left me 3 to 5 hours to do my shooting. Any one can fire 600 rounds of ammo in 5 hours time if you have a routine set up.

12. mathewslxinky

mathewslxinky 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    irvington, ky
    well once again i am with Hunter79. When ever you want to go and PROVE it I will go in half of the gas if i am off the boat and we can come get some lessons. What kind of group can you hold at 100 yards with that set up? and how much hold over were you using for a 400 yard shoot?

13. headoftheholler

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    With iron sights at 400 yards you have nothing but kentucky windage to use. I've shot my brother's sharps replica in 45-70 with creedmore sights at 400 yards and not only is the peep cranked sky high but the globe sight more than covers the target. A pistol or revolver shot at that distance, 6" barrel, and stock iron sights has my BS scale off the charts.

14. WSM Man

WSM Man 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2008
    Hey, I believe Handloader, one time I saw a guy shoot an elephant in Africa with a .45, the round only grazed the elephant's left ear, killing it instantly, then the round went on killing 4 lions, 3 zebras, and 2 Cape Buffalo before finally coming to a stop after penetrating 19 feet of ballistic gelatin. Then the parents of the elephant died, which were in America in the circus, and then the circus tent they were in fell.

Now that alone might not seem as impressive as a 400yd kill shot from a six inch 357Mag on a coyote, but the amazing part about the shot I saw was.............
    this guy was standing on the coast in New Hampshire!!!!
    The .45acp round he fired at the elephant (using satellite imagery to figure trajectory and target coordinates of course) actually crossed the Atlantic ocean and went several hundred miles inland before reaching the intended target(s)!!!!!! Imagine what he could have done if he was actually on the African Continent!!!

So, a 400yd yard pistol shot with a 357Mag would be no problem right? (even though when zeroed in at 100yds out of a rifle, the .357 drops 10 inches at 175yds, so holdover would have to be, oh, I don't know, 10 feet or more, aimed at spot in random air above the target. Compared to say a 22-250 with a bullet that weighs 1/3rd as much, is traveling over 3x faster, and has a better coefficent -when zeroed in at 250yds drops a foot and a half at 400yds.

So, even though this shot sounds like utterly unbelievable BS, it could've happened based on the trans-continental shot I saw.
    Now that I think about it, Handloader and the guy I saw shoot the elephant must be related!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  15. JimDandy

JimDandy Fawn

Aug 5, 2008
    In a woodlot near you

One round every 30 seconds for 5 hours. Thats a busy afternoon of shooting.

JimDandy