Had to share

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Brit's and Birds, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Had to share the somber experience I just had.

Ran out to the grocery store to pick up some snacks to serve for the game tonight. On the way home, I saw some cars on the side of the road and flashing police lights up the road a bit at the intersection. All the cars that we're not at the side of the road were stopped at the intersection and not moving. Wonderful, I think. Nothing like a wreck to slow me down and mess up my day. As I got all the way up to the intersection, I notice people lining both sides of the cross street, many holding american flags and signs. Come to find out, they were waiting on a funeral procession for a soldier killed in duty recently. They were taking him to his final resting place at the cemetery just up the road. Seeing hundreds of people lining the street as far as I could see in both directions, holding flags and thank you for the ultimate sacrifice signs - all in a driving cold rain - made me choke up. There were far more people than what could be considered family. And certainly all of them had other places they could be on this day. But there they were, paying respects to someone they probably never met. I didn't have a poncho or umbrella like most, but that didn't stop me from getting out in the rain and standing respectfully as the procession past.

I don't know this soldiers story or even his name, but thank you for your sacrifice to keep this country safe from those who wish us harm, just so we can watch a football game without worrying about the bumps in the night. The national anthem tonight just took on another level of meaning for me. I also was reaffirmed that there are still good people in this country who understand what our military does for us.

Enjoy the game everyone and remember the sacrifices that have allowed us to have events such as this.

2. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Its a sight to see.

sent from the doghouse

3. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    There are still some respectful people around in thus world full of idiots. Going down dixie in Radcliff a couple weeks ago and got behind a funeral going to the veterans cemetery. Young punk tried to pass it in the emergency lane and got rammed right into the guardrail by the truck in front of me. The kid jumps out like he was going to start a fight till he saw the size of the colonel that ran him into the guardrail. Punk jumps in his car and busts a u turn and got out of there quick. The soldiers in the truck with the colonel would have made quick work of him. That made me as happy as the funeral made me sad. It was great to see. Those military guys shouldn't be the only ones showing respect to our fallen heroes. I try to stop or get out of the way for all funerals, but our soldiers coming home covered with American flags hold a special place for me.

4. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    Amen........a couple minutes out of your trip doesn't cost a lot but can mean so much....

5. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    You must be from around my area.
    God bless this Marine for his service.
    God bless his friends and family for their loss.

http://www.whas11.com/story/news/lo...local-friend-husband-son-and-marine/22678619/

6. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    "Captain Adam Satterfield died last week after a training exercise, he was in a helicopter crash at a base in California."
    This has almost become a code for "killed on a top secret mission somewhere in the world".
    God bless Captain Satterfield and his family for their sacrifice for our country.

7. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
  8. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You got it there. I remember when my middles son was in Iraq for the invasion in 2002? I thought he was in Ft. Riley Kansas...the occasional phone calls were routed from there. I told him on a call that "I don't think there are Enough troops there." He paused and said: "You'd be surprised who they have over there." I knew.
    He got injured and was waiting a helicopter flight out....he was Late and missed the flight out of Ramadi....Saw the Helicopter flying out of the area......He found out an hour later that the Helicopter was SHOT DOWN and all were KIA.
    He was terribly affected by what he saw and did while there.....still is.
    We should give these guys the honor they deserve.