Had some fun with trout yesterday..

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by KYBOY, Sep 25, 2016.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We end up putting 16 in the freezer. Released several that were no bigger than a chub..Im sure we could have finished out my wifes limit if we wanted but had plenty for eating. Not a lot other than ours were caught in that section. Plenty of fish but they were biting sparingly and being very picky. Would not touch wax-worms or corn that most folks were fishing with. Luckily I had some trout power bait and they were hitting that pretto good bounced on the bottom..
    He had a ball, that's what matters..
    [​IMG]

just me, richardc2850 and 308 like this.
  2. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Great memories and great smile!!!

3. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    That picture is on the "new" crick?

Been thinking about going down to Cumberland, Wolf Creek, and camping and trout fishing. Been doing that since the 70s/80s...hate to bust a tradition. Haha

But since I've never seen the new creek, I understand you can't use anything but artificial lures and barbless hooks? Is that right? I have a special, secret bait that I've always used and always limit out...but I don't want to waste my time going down there if I can't use what I've always used. I don't do all that "flapping your rod around" in a $500 fly fishing clothing outfit type fly fishing get up. An old Zebco works just fine.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    No Sir this is over on Paintsville's tailwaters..I know what your talking about though. Ive been hearing the same thing about no live bait and what not..
    I use a light weight spinning reel with about 4#-6# line..Nothing fancy or expensive but light enough that it dosnt spook trout.

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    OK, thanks.

6. BigBlueLittleBlue

BigBlueLittleBlue Fawn

Oct 4, 2016
    Junction City, KY
    I always giggle at the people who spend that much on their fly fishing get ups. I wear shorts and muck boots and still catch the same stuff they do. Got a hook caught in my thigh one day, but for $20 versus $500 I'd probably take another hook. -Unashamed Walmart clearance pole purchaser

308 likes this.
  7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Yeah, but you could say the same thing about every thing. Who needs to spend $1000 on a deer rifle when they sell them for $300 that'll kill deer just as dead? Or a $30,000 boat when a $300 canoe will catch the same fish? Or $50,000 for a truck, when a fella can buy a Kia that will go down the same roads?

8. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    I was with you till the KIA reference

PSE.308 likes this.
  9. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    You are catching stocked trout that are fed dog food in a hatchery before being turned loose, and you are actually making jokes about how someone else chooses to fish?

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I like dogfood fed trout, gives them a corn/horsemeat type flavor :D

Dark Cloud, Tim T and Regulator623 like this.
  11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    A Kia- cheap, Korean-made car that will drive down the same roads as a $50,000 truck will.

My point was that a lot of people, including you and me, spend money on stuff we think we "need to have" that someone else could just as easily scoff at.

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Or when someone buys a Kia when a bicycle will do the same speed. :D

13. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    I got what you meant, but even as cheap as I am I wont drive a KIA , I do have some standards not many but some

[​IMG]Thanks and good fishing.

14. BigBlueLittleBlue

BigBlueLittleBlue Fawn

Oct 4, 2016
    Junction City, KY
    I fish solo from KY, to Ohio, through TN, stop in Southern GA, all on a weekly basis, trout, bass, and catfish. But I suppose assuming that all someone does is chill fishing for kibble stuffed fishies is about as stupid as someone giggling over people going overboard on their fishing gear. Whats up pot, I'm kettle.

15. BigBlueLittleBlue

BigBlueLittleBlue Fawn

Oct 4, 2016
    Junction City, KY
    Side note, I dont judge what my meat eats, and if you ever eat fast food, you probably shouldn't either.