Habitat/plots for rabbits

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by KYBH4Life, Jan 7, 2013.

1. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I went on a good hunt today and spotted the land owner out there waiting for me.....been looking forward to talking to him. I was telling him about this thread and he was interested in what he could do for rabbits too. He already has plenty of brush piles and briars...trust me, my nose is cut all to hell right now from today. When I was telling him about the high cost of the seed, he made a very interesting point......could you buy the 50 lbs bags of wild bird seed and plant that? Seems like a good idea to me but I'm new to this stuff. He did mention you may end of planting a bunch of thistles inadvertantly.

Anybody have any input on the wild bird seed idea?

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

If I can get what I want cleared off this winter a small experiment will happens this year. Been thinking along the same lines myself for all small game. I am thinking that an edge strip in a field would provide both food and edge cover in places where we don't want to cut trees along a woods edge or let it grow up in other trash. And because of trash seed you don't want planting it on the down wind side of the field would be a good idea. Jimmie

3. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Bird seed will yield you years of thistles. Thistle seed can sit in the ground for years and once the conditions are right pop up. I would advise against it. Native grass is the way to go. Yes it is expensive to start but in the long run very cheap. A disk thru it every 3-5 years and you will have. Habitat and food for decades to come. Rabbits will have plenty of food naturally. The limiting factor with rabbits (and almost all wildlife in Kentucky) is cover. I know the hunting industry has pushed that food plots fix everything but without cover food is useless.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Why would any one want thistles?I spent years cutting them mowing them and spraying them on the farm to get rid of them.Those things just take over.Even a Goat wont eat them.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Had a jackass that ate them like candy once they hit bloom stage. Had a couple of mules since then with the same habit.

What worries me most this year is having decent enough weather to establish any planting. My part of the state is still on the drought maps. Ponds finally got full last week. Jimmie