Habitat Improvement - Planting Pears

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by Rut-n-Strut, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I got 17 pear trees planted this past weekend. Last year I planted 50 chestnut trees, 100 persimmon trees and 6 pear trees. 5 of the pears died, so I wanted some more. Last year I did some tree cutting and hinging too.

I know there's not a whole lot of action in this section of the forum, but I enjoy seeing and reading from others. If you like you can follow the journey with these trees, hunting, fishing or whatever on my channel in the signature below.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    1.jpg

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Planted 6 pear and 4 apple on the property last year all doing great, also planted 2 persimmon not sure about them yet.. Will probably plant a few more pear and apple this year. I know one thing deer like apples but they love pears..

3. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    What varieties did you plant? I believe that persimmons will fruit every year. I heard many people had issues with pear and apple last year with a late frost.

I wanted to plant some apples, but I was concerned they'd be harder to grow.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Apple Golden delicious, Gala, and red delicious is all they had left last year .. Pears plsin old Bartlett pears..

Pear trees are leafed out all ready too young to set fruit yet the apple trees are budding but not open yet and the persimmon while still green have several dead limbs.. I have lots of wild persimmon and they were loaded last year.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I should probably go tomorrow and buy some more trees..

6. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Where do you buy yours from?

I ordered from The Wildlife Group the following:
    Gate
    Gallaway
    Becton
    Orient
    Moonglow
    Arthur Ledbetter
    Keifer
    McKelvey
    + 1 unknown

Persimmon
    IL Dept of Forestry (or Ag or something)

Chestnuts
    KY Department of Forestry

7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I have read chestnuts are awesome and relatively fast growers. The problem with chestnuts is many buy trees that are not suited for your area.. I have looked at them from chestnut hill tree farm.

http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/pg/76-The-Dunstan-Chestnut-1.aspx

8. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Yeah, I've read quite a bit about them. I like watching John Sangl on YouTube. He has an orchard. A video he did recently describes various cultivars of Chestnuts. It's interesting. The Dunstan has great marketing and is well known to hunters. Sangl says it looks mostly Chinese to him. For the price, it's hard to beat the Chinese Chestnuts grown by the Kentucky Division of Forestry. There are plenty of options out there though. I've been fascinated by the history and demise of the American Chestnut. I hope they one day can bring back the American Chestnut. Supposedly they are trying to introduce a blight resistant wheat gene to it. Various other groups are trying to breed resistance too.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    how are they on shipping , thats usually a killer ordering online.

I was wrong three of my pear trees are Kieffer.

10. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    The Wildlife Group was $50 with the trees, weed mats, and another item.
    Kentucky was $10 for the 50 trees I ordered. $65 + $10 for shipping for 50 trees. Hard to beat that anywhere (the chestnuts were good size seedlings ranging from about 2-4' tall).

You can get an idea of prices on their order form. This is for the 18-19 seedlings so ignore the ones they don't have in stock. https://eec.ky.gov/Natural-Resources/Forestry/Documents/Seedling Order Form 2018_19.pdf

11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    cool I have seen a few places with free shipping but you have to order $200 at a time which really isn't hard to do..

Rut-n-Strut likes this.
  12. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Went to the farm this past week. At the entrance of the farm gate, I had a chain cut through. On the other farm, it was millimeters from the chain link being snapped off. The power company came on the property (without notification) one day and left their lock on thereby locking us out. They got a phone call to get their lock off my gate. Well, they came by and cut the lock off I suppose, because they didn't have a key to their own lock. As for the other property, I don't know who cut that. I have put cameras up all over now.

Anyways, I got a couple pear trees with a 'Kieffer' and 'Dr. Deer' Pear to replace the 2 that died on me after a hard frost back in early April. I waited until they went on clearance. I also got a 'Deer Candy' Persimmon and Dunstan Chestnut. A week later I went back to the store and all those trees marked down were gone. I have a bunch of Chinese Chestnut and American Persimmons I already planted, but I thought it would be interesting to see how those two compared to the ones I planted last year.

Speaking of trees I planted last year, I'm very pleased with how they are doing. ~130 of the original approximately 150 are still alive. All of them made it through the winter and are doing well! I lost a few to cattle, goats, and other unknown culprits but that's not bad all considered. Add another 19 I planted this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ignore the "bears" date. The messed up on the card (verified with Chestnut Hill Outdoors)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    29C41308-8861-4661-90DC-90DF6A68E55F.jpeg Figured I post here since we talking bout fruit. My neighbors pear tree is friggin loaded. Mine not so much. My apple tree is. So I picked up a bunch this morning fixin go dumpem out at my stand. They love pears. I’m gonna plant me some out at the farm this fall.

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Looks good except for those Burkmann bags

15. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    Lol. Friggin high to $17 and some change for 100lb