Gunsmiths (Louisville & Surrounding Areas)

Payton

6 pointer
Dec 6, 2005
I bought a shotgun with a fixed modified choke that I want reamed out to an improved cylinder. With Gary Romans demise, who would you suggest that I contact?

I'm willing to travel so let me know even if E-Town, Bardstown, Frankfort.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Why not just buy a new barrel and swap it out yourself?

If it is like the old Ithaca’s the barrels have to be hand fitted to the receiver so a gunsmith call would be in order anyways.

My FFL has ties with Gun World in Corydon Indiana. They ship guns there for service weekly for free. They did great work on a Shilen barrel I had matched to my bolt and receiver.

Payton

6 pointer
Dec 6, 2005
Keep 'em coming, but I'm definitely going to try GunWorld. I actually live in Southern Indiana.

I have half a mind to try it myself with a dremmel tool :eek: My modified barrel mic's @ ~0.725 and an improved cyclinder I have is only 0.705 or so. So I only have to remove 0.01 radially.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Keep 'em coming, but I'm definitely going to try GunWorld. I actually live in Southern Indiana.

I have half a mind to try it myself with a dremmel tool :eek: My modified barrel mic's @ ~0.725 and an improved cyclinder I have is only 0.705 or so. So I only have to remove 0.01 radially.
Blast a couple boxes of hot duck loads thru it, and you may be where you wanna be. BB steel would do it. No shit. If you can find Remington Hyper Sonic, I KNOW that'll do it

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I bought a shotgun with a fixed modified choke that I want reamed out to an improved cylinder. With Gary Romans demise, who would you suggest that I contact?

Why not just buy and have installed a Poly Choke. I had one of my shotguns fitted with a poly choke, sent it in to them and they installed it. By having a poly choke you'll have several chokes to use.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Why not just buy and have installed a Poly Choke. I had one of my shotguns fitted with a poly choke, sent it in to them and they installed it. By having a poly choke you'll have several chokes to use.
Dude...No.
Cool story tho, I watched a Poly Choke cut a helluva hole in a man's hoop barn on a dove shoot. That man's hoop barn was 200 yards away from any dove killing going on that afternoon.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Poly Choke ain't a thing anymore. Please don't recommend them either. From what I understand, you live pretty close to my Buffalo farm off 210. I also understand that you can't find squirrels to kill in Taylor co. My farm is on Poplar Grove off 210. PM me and I'll take you in there, and you can kill your limit of squirrels with a .410 with a poly choke if you want. You need to understand that your peice of property doesn't distinguish KY from damn Indiana, as far as squirrel hunting.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Poly Choke ain't a thing anymore. Please don't recommend them either. From what I understand, you live pretty close to my Buffalo farm off 210. I also understand that you can't find squirrels to kill in Taylor co. My farm is on Poplar Grove off 210. PM me and I'll take you in there, and you can kill your limit of squirrels with a .410 with a poly choke if you want. You need to understand that your peice of property doesn't distinguish KY from damn Indiana, as far as squirrel hunting.
Sorry.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky

Before we get too derailed, what is the gun? Also, is it vent rib?

Meatstick/Davers I was always a polychoke fan. Until I saw my dad launch one off of a very nice bolt action 20ga.

The new Poly IIs and Titan adjustable chokes are rated for modern loads. They screw in just like a regular choke, no harm to try one but not my cup of tea. Jack of all trades, master of none.

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
This would have been a easy job a few years back when the reamers were something every shop had on hand. Now, most reamers being sold are for installing the threaded choke tubes. I do not have a set of reamers, I would have to purchase or see if 4D Reamers has a set to rent (customer covers the cost for this). I am in Richmond KY, so its a hike for you to come by, but I can do the job if I can find the reamer.