Gun Shy

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I know what I want to do to the dog, but does anybody have any suggestions for a gun shy dog. I don't know what to do. I have hunted her before and killed rabbits, but today as soon as the shots were fired she ran right up under my feet and wouldn't move. Done it all day. She came bad close to getting it, but I thought I'd give her another chance. I've never heard of one just becoming gun shy all the sudden. Advice appreciated.

Kentucky Cooner

6 pointer
Apr 3, 2005
Owen Co. Kentucky
Alot of dogs have some gun shyness in them.
I got a old female that if she isn't running and got her mind on the chase and you shoot,shes going home.End of story.
It was all my fault,it happened from me sighting in the deer rifles in the back yard.

Jonesy's Gun Dogs

6 pointer
Sep 24, 2006
Berea
If its a beagle, never worked with on a fix, a upland, or bird dog, yea we should be able to fix. That situation, if a dog likes birds, it can be fixed, unless its been shot with gun for breaking or something like that. I dont know how you could work the rabbits in on the beagles, might have to do things a touch different. Thanks Jonesy

capnball45

6 pointer
Jun 13, 2009
Lexington KY
I have seen this happen to bird dogs, usually when to many hunters are hunting over 1 dog and some have no experience shooting over, or with dogs. you get a flush all hell breaks loose and that dog isn't going back if its spooked, and you wouldn't either. You mentioned your dog was very close to hit, and shots were fired. More than likely your dog is done for this season, but anything can happen. Now start from square 1, when you do your next feeding, stand off from dog with a cap pistol something low noise level, and pop a round and observe dog, if it looks up and goes back to eating, you can fix the dog but its gonna be a year long process. Get the dog used to hearing that low level noise during feeding, then after a couple weeks up the level to like a blank pistol, take the dog out by yourself and occasionally fire the blank gun and watch the reaction. If the dog gets nervous, go back home and continue feeding training, until it appears comfortable. Each few weeks the dog needs noise level to raise slightly, if it doesnt repond well slow down training and take out every couple weeks and see what it does during a trial run. This is a long process, but it may well fix your dog. When your dog is doing well take another person along to see how it responds to a stranger along. The other part of the problem is, hunters that have never shot over a dog. Do not allow them to hunt with your dog, it takes discipline on a shooters part, to shoot above a dog and never have the dog in harms way, I would never have more than yourself and 3 other hunters using 1 dog, and I would use pairs spaced out, so when a rabbit comes up 4 semi-autos are not emptying theirselves at a jumped rabbit at once. If you work with your dog, Good Luck, next year may be your best.

trader rob

8 pointer
Apr 5, 2004
ne ky..
i imagine you would be far ahead starting with another pup. if one is scared bad, it is a hard fix.

never jump shoot rabbits over a pup. for the first half dozen hunts, take one gun and kill the rabbit with one shot while the pup is running the track hot. let the pup wool the rabbit when it gets to the end of the track.

good luck with your next pup tr

GSPonGrouse

10 pointer
I have seen this happen to bird dogs, usually when to many hunters are hunting over 1 dog and some have no experience shooting over, or with dogs. you get a flush all hell breaks loose and that dog isn't going back if its spooked, and you wouldn't either. You mentioned your dog was very close to hit, and shots were fired. More than likely your dog is done for this season, but anything can happen. Now start from square 1, when you do your next feeding, stand off from dog with a cap pistol something low noise level, and pop a round and observe dog, if it looks up and goes back to eating, you can fix the dog but its gonna be a year long process. Get the dog used to hearing that low level noise during feeding, then after a couple weeks up the level to like a blank pistol, take the dog out by yourself and occasionally fire the blank gun and watch the reaction. If the dog gets nervous, go back home and continue feeding training, until it appears comfortable. Each few weeks the dog needs noise level to raise slightly, if it doesnt repond well slow down training and take out every couple weeks and see what it does during a trial run. This is a long process, but it may well fix your dog. When your dog is doing well take another person along to see how it responds to a stranger along. The other part of the problem is, hunters that have never shot over a dog. Do not allow them to hunt with your dog, it takes discipline on a shooters part, to shoot above a dog and never have the dog in harms way, I would never have more than yourself and 3 other hunters using 1 dog, and I would use pairs spaced out, so when a rabbit comes up 4 semi-autos are not emptying theirselves at a jumped rabbit at once. If you work with your dog, Good Luck, next year may be your best.
I may even start banging on pots or pans or anything else while feeding before I introduced the cap pistol.

BriarBuster

6 pointer
Nov 16, 2007
NE KY
I may even start banging on pots or pans or anything else while feeding before I introduced the cap pistol.

Thats what Ive been doing w/ my brittany pup. Whatever noise you make, you dont wanna be directly beside the dog when you make it. Do it off in the distance and gradually get closer. I have graduated from banging pans when he eats to shooting a 22 when I take him out now. He pays no mind to it and used to look at me crazy while banging the pans. My older brit was gun shy in the same fashion and now hes fine because of doing the same thing with him. Im sure things will be different with a rabbit dog but it can't hurt to try to re-introduce him to noise and give him a reward/treat after you make the noise so that he associates the loud noise to something good. Hope you get it worked out, just be patient.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
thanks guys, this dog isn't a pup. She has had rabbits killed from her before. We had a couple extra guys go yesterday, that may have been the problem. I've seen dogs act strange around new people. Good advice though, thanks

Dec 1, 2009
You said as soon as the shots were fired she ran up under your feet. Was she running a rabbit? I f she wasn't and somebody shot without her knowing they were going to shot it may have ruined her.
One of the best dogs I ever had was ruined this way. Never could get him out of it.

GrouseAssasin

12 pointer
Aug 1, 2009
Jackson, ky
She came bad close to getting it, but I thought I'd give her another chance.

DO NOT SHOOT THE DOG!! Take her out a few times just you and the rest of the pack. If that dont work, I guess you can give her to me. One of my dogs is half gun shy. Just one person firing one or two shots and shes fine but if a couple of us open up all at once shes gone to the truck. If your dog is a good one just be patient. Good dogs are hard to come by and you can't realistically expect them to be perfect every day. Dogs are just like people, they screw up from time to time. Something out of the norm had to happen to make her act that way. Strange people, too much noise, stepped on a briar right when somebody shot :D,

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I agree with you Grouse Assassin. I really don't like to shoot dogs. It gets frustrating though. I think she will be fine. Like I said before, we had a few more people with us hunting today and it may have bothered her. Like you said dogs can have bad days to. Its funny, dogs can make a liar out of you real quick. :D

luckychucky

6 pointer
Aug 5, 2008
London, KY
I don't think getting a new dog always fixes the problem

Get a new dog
Why not fix the problem at hand than rather get rid of it and give a problem to somebody else. Don't make sense to me. BG33 has some of the best dogs in SouthEastern Ky, its just ironic all of a sudden one becomes gunshy. A dog that isn't always with us but a good dog. I think patience and time working with her will fix her. Just my 2cents worth.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I'd have to disagree on that one. Some dogs are different than others. I've seen pups not even pay attention to a gun and I've seen them go nuts. If you've been around dogs you know that some pups act different than others. Some are shy, some are mean, some just hang out and do nothing. I think same goes for being gun shy. Some are and some are not. YOu have to train a dog, it don't just come out of the kennel and automatically be the best dog in the world. As I have said before on other threads, thanks for the advice from the guys that try to help me out.

Latest posts