Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by STUMP-52, Sep 1, 2015.

1. STUMP-52

STUMP-52 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Lookin at buyin a gun safe. What say the guru's about a Liberty Safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mmayes

mmayes 12 pointer

Aug 2, 2005
    Near Aintry
    Heard tell of a friend of ours that was having some troubles with his.

Mayes

3. Navy Bowhunter

Navy Bowhunter 6 pointer

Jun 25, 2013
    Knifley, KY
    Don't know much about liberty but once the "collection" started to grow, we purchased one of the field and stream safes from Dicks. I believe it was the 48 gun safe. The mechanical solenoid inside the door failed. That's when I found out they are made by Stack-On. Called customer service and they had the part to my door in four days. About 15 minutes of work and the thing was good as new. No issues in the past 2 years.

4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Just look at temps and time, the quality brands will stick out. Been a few years since i did my research, but I went with Browning.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have a 1900#, 64 gun, superior safe. It's literally a work of art. Beautiful. My wife selected it because it looked so nice and would be visible in our finished basement. We paid through the nose for it. It's now full and we need to purchase another. I knew I should have purchased a vault door and installed it in the doorway under my front porch.

6. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Stump i too have a browning and its a well made safe. i got lucky and bought it used off here several years ago at a very discounted price. Guy was building a new house and going with a vault.

7. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    There are all different levels of quality and prices. I've used these guys before and they can build whatever you want and are top of the line..but not cheap.
    [video=youtube_share;_c41l902-Yk]https://youtu.be/_c41l902-Yk[/video]

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I have a cannon that I bought a few years ago. I've been happy with it

9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Mine is green. Not sure I remember the name, maybe Cannon.

10. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    The big 72 gun, Cannon safe is on sale at rural king for 699 right now, regularly 1299. Its 795 with 96 in store rebate.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I researched safes for a long time a few years ago. It ultimately comes down to what you want out of one and how thick your wallet is. I wanted something with a good fire rating and a plate door. I wound up going with a Heritage.

12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've got two gun safes ... primarily because I made the mistake of not buying one big enough the first go around. Which for the most part when you get talking brands.... its a personal preference. Normally one aspect will attract you to one model or another.

So just from my experience ... here's my overview.....

1. Size: the capacity listed isn't taking into account scoped long guns. They take more room to store than one without. You will easily loose a 3rd of your capacity listed if the majority of guns are topped with scopes.

2. Fire rating & security: For me personally , security was more important. Which both of mine have 30 & 45 minute ratings. But even at an hour or better.... it may not necessarily be enough to protect living in rural areas. So I pretty much focus on the security... number of bolts, size / diameter of the bolts itself. Which I'm honest in saying that the last safe I bought was a relatively cheap one ... a $600 Winchester from TSC and its bolt arrangement is better than the Ft Knox I gave nearly 3 times more for.

3. Access / lock: in my opinion combination type locks are best but can be a PIA to open. The electronic code locks are honestly the easiest from this stand point. Again ... I've got both and will admit I'm getting more comfortable / confident with the electronic. It just so much quicker to open. But again it's a personal like or dislike.

4. Door hinge: I've got one with internal & the other with external hinges. The internal ...the door basically opens 90 degrees then you still have the thickness of the door that blocks a little access on one side. You get use to it but my other has external and the door gets plum out of the way of the opening. As such for security I use to be under the assumption that internal was best. But now.... I'm not sure. If you really look & think about the bolt arrangement there's no freakin way that if a burglar cut the hinges you can access. The bolts keep the door from gaining access.

Summary.... no safe is fool proof. But in my opinion they will deter most burglars of the average meth-head variety. The nature of their weight & need of cutting tools / time involved to get into ... ect... will be the limiting factor. The rest is just a matter of what you like and how much you want to spend. But it will be one of the best investments you make for peace of mind.

13. archerstaxidermy

archerstaxidermy Fawn

Oct 21, 2009
    Look at warranty and fire rating. I have 2 liberty safes and love them... Libertys warranty is great if your safe is ever in a fire they replace it. If someone tries to break into it. They replace it