Gun safe reviews (Update)

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by beauhunter41031, Jun 12, 2020.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Just trying to pick y’all’s brain on good ones/bad ones. Digital keypad/dial. Is it worth paying extra for a longer fire rating. Plan on taking my Trump check and putting it towards a good safe to protect my investments. It at least needs to have room for 10 investments at the moment but would like to have some extra room. I’ve heard some good things about liberty but it seems like there’s 100 different companies out there

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. 454Casull

454Casull 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    I bought used '99 Liberty about 5 years ago and like it a lot. It has minimal fire rating, but better than the plain steel cabinet I did have. Shortly after I bought it, a locking collar broke on the handle which made it almost impossible to get open. I called Liberty and explained the problem and that I did buy the safe second hand. Liberty sent out a locksmith, locksmith ordered and replaced the part at no charge to me. Great service from Liberty.

Some of the price difference is just the bells and whistles. Nicer paint, different handle, logo etc. So will depend on what you want.

I had a bad experience with a small electronic handgun lock box and swore I would never get a safe with electronic lock. YMMV

Get one at least twice as big as the one you think you need, it will fill up faster than you think.

CRFmxracer and jblack1 like this.
  3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Love my liberty but like said buy twice as big as you think you need. I don't worry much on the fire part I think they all lie on that.

Mt Pokt likes this.
  4. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I agree with 454 in that you want one that holds at least twice the long guns you have. Nothing worse than clanging the guns against each other to get them out, and you'll have a little room to grow.

After studying everything out there, I ended up with a Winchester brand and got it at tractor supply.

What you want to look for:
    Fire rating - longer the better though nothing inside will survive a house fire fire most likely.
    Door bolts - bolts on all 4 sides of the door. They will be fixed on the hinge side and mechanical on other 3 sides.
    Inside configuration - if you have more long shotguns, you need to make sure the top shelf is adjustable or removable if it doesn't have a cutout for longer stuff.

Liberty are nice! I have one in my business office and another in my home office. Only because I couldn't find anything else the size I was looking for.

Digital pad or spin dial is personal preference. The dial is probably more secure, but you can get into a digital pad much quicker if you have an emergency. I chose the digital pad for that reason.

5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Just ran across this. I seen someone has them on sale. Let me try to find it

6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I have a cannon. I like it.
    Forgot to add mines a 64 gun but it don’t hold 64. I like it though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    jblack1 likes this.
  7. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I just sold a Cannon 24 gun, and recently bought a Cannon 36 gun
    I found it used on Marketplace.

8. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Hard to beat a liberty.

jblack1 likes this.
  9. ABLongbow

ABLongbow Spike

Aug 10, 2018
    Morgan County
    Watch some videos on YouTube about breaking into safes you'll be amazed

Carl likes this.
  10. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I own Cannon, but I've heard Liberty is one of the best made.

11. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Before I talked to Riverboss I had found a liberty 36 for 800 bones. I was about to jump on that but the guy says it needs keys made and it’s about four hours away. After looking at liberty‘s website it seems somewhat complicated to get new keys made if the warranty was not turned in or you are the not the original owner but as mentioned above riverboss Has put me on two different solid deals I’m thinking about pursuing

jblack1 likes this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have two libertys, one with dial one electronic. I much prefer the dial. as I said in the safe thread last year, my electronic takes 3-5 attempts to open. pita. never opens on first attempt. rule of thumb, multiply guns by 1.5 to get sized properly. scoped rifles take up a lot of space. that's how I ended up with two, now need a third.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    beauhunter41031, xbokilla and jblack1 like this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I need to break down and purchase a nice big one. Got one small cheapo that maybe holds 6 guns (supposed to hold 10).

jblack1 likes this.
  14. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    AR 15's take up two spaces with Scopes and scratching guns sucks but with small safes it happens. Plus we keep important papers in there also.

jblack1 likes this.
  15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    good point. a lot of non gun items end up in the safes.

Teach Deer and jblack1 like this.