Gun Racks

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Jughead, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    Whats the law on gun racks now? Is it legal to put one in your truck now (with a shotgun on it)?

2. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

Carrying guns in vehicles can be a tricky situation. There are federal laws, state laws and local ordinances to consider everywhere you go. In general you can carry a firearm in your vehicle in KY in a gun rack in your window because it would not be concealed there (as long as you don't hang anything over it to conceal it or have limo tinted windows, etc...). However, some cities in KY do have ordinances against it. So there is no easy answer to this question. You would just have to check with the authorities in your area.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. Beretta-fan

Beretta-fan 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Salt Lick
    I use one of those racks that mount behind my trucks seat, I had never even givin it any thought as to wether this is legal or not. Seems like it would be concealed, is there a way to transport a hunting rifle or shotgun in a manner that is legal and yet out of sight of thieves?

4. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

You can legally transport your firearm out of plain view in a case (zippered or buckled) in your vehicle in KY in most areas, but again some areas have ordinances that are more strict (some of your larger cities)...it depends on where you are at. You would have to check with the local jurisdictions to see if they have stricter firearm tranporting laws than the state does in general.

5. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Last I checked, local governments could NOT make ANY laws concerning firearms (possession, transporting, sales, etc) due to a state preemption law. That does not include prohibiting the carry of firearms in buildings owned by said local governments.

Being that I'm posting from my PDA, I can't go find the exact statute, but I'll post again with a link to it in a minute.

6. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Ok, here's the applicable statute:

KRS 65.870

No city, county, or urban-county government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or combination thereof

Effective 7-13-84

So, there it is in fairly plain English. Local governments may NOT regulate gun racks in vehicles. Although, you may run a risk of violating the CCW laws if the rack isn't in plain view. Simply get a CCW permit, and you won't have to worry about that, either.

7. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

I am mainly talking about if it is concealed, like in the gun holders you can strap on the back of your pickup seat or if the windows are darkly tinted, etc. The transporting of the gun is not what I would worry about, it is the "concealed or visible" factor to watch out for. If it is in plain sight then there should be no problem as long as you are not on property or in areas that prohibit firearms (such as certain government properties etc...).

8. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    A firearm is not deemed to be concealed if it cannot be grasped in one fluid movement. For example, a firearm in the sunvisor (how did that work?) a center console or shoved between the front seats is concealed. One in the glove box (according to KY trial law) is not concealed.

I'd say that there is no way to remove a rifle or shotgun from a behind-the-seat rack in "one fluid movement".

9. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I wouldn't carry a gun in my truck on a rack for all to see. Why not just put a neon sign above it saying, "STEAL ME!"

10. yote hunter

yote hunter 12 pointer

Oct 30, 2004
    bullitt county
    if a cop walks up or by and see's it .its not concealed.

11. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    Any gun in a gun rack in a truck is perfectly legal as it has always been. A firearm is concealed if you can't see it but can retrieve it in one motion. Legal in the glove box. Illegal under the seat or under a jacket.

12. Jughead

Jughead Banned

Nov 14, 2006
    Kentucky
    why was this thread moved?? it was a legit question to law enforcement.

13. redneck1377

redneck1377 Banned

Dec 25, 2007
    Erlanger
    keeping a gun in the glove box may be legal for some people with short arms who are driving big pickups but I can reach the glove box and take the pistol out if the box is unlock without too much trouble

14. Combat Triad

Combat Triad 8 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Flatwoods, KY
    If you have your concealed weapons permit, you can conceal a firearm in any fashion. Under the seat, in the console, or wherever. If you don't, then the only place you can have a handgun is either in plain sight or in the factory installed glove box, not the center console. You are okay with your rifle anywhere as long as it is unloaded and the ammunition is in a separate location. If you want to keep it loaded, then it must be in plain sight.

15. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Your thread was moved because the KDFWR doesn't have jurisdiction over gun laws nor is that forum intended for the debate that this thread has turned into.

It is for fish & wildlife questions to the department.