grouse

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by RICKA, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RICKA

RICKA Fawn

Jan 22, 2008
    KENTUCKY
    You can buy quail just about in any county in Kentucky, what about grouse, can you raise them or does any one know any one that sales them.

2. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    It is possible to raise them but much to costly and they dont do well at all .....Theres no quik fix for Grouse you have to have good habitat ,food and a good hatch in semi dry conditions . Then they have to get really lucky after that...

3. RICKA

RICKA Fawn

Jan 22, 2008
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for the info.

4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I thought that Ruffed Grouse could not be raised in pens. Something about them killing themselves flying against the sides of the enclosures. Could be BS as well, but that is what I had always heard.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I think if it could be done, it would be. I see lots of chukars and quail, no grouse.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    In past years I've talked with several people that has tried and failed. They tried hatching chicks (which is illegal:rolleyes:) catching young birds, taking birds that were hit during hunting, with only a broken wing. These were people that raised game birds for a living. Never did they suceed. They tried gathering wild greens, nuts, etc. All their birds ate for a while (two or three days) then they simply stop eating and died. Truly the last wild bird we are honored to hunt.;)

7. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. wildcovey

wildcovey 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2008
    webster ky
    great article that explains alot thanks for sharing that.

9. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Birdman, you are right and that's just one reason why "Grouse is king."

10. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    And those of us that love them should be thankful for this, we are blessed to have something that is seemingly unable to be tamed and raised like a chicken.

11. RICKA

RICKA Fawn

Jan 22, 2008
    KENTUCKY
    I agree about the grouse, only hunted them once and loved it, just no place around were i live to hunt them.

12. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    Just have to go to them. :)

13. RICKA

RICKA Fawn

Jan 22, 2008
    KENTUCKY
    Be glad to, let me know when you want to take me and i will be glad to show up. Will be glad to take you quail hunting for a grouse hunt.