Grouse Population

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Dec 21, 2013.

1. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Hey guys, have all hunt here and are passionate about the sport in general. Everyone's perspective, observations, experience etc. we shouldn't be pissing each other off when we are all invested in game in ky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    You've spent one post demonstrating you know nothing about me or my stances on this stuff. Congratulations.

I don't think there is one thing that can be done to regulate this problem away. The ky dnr is helpless on this one imo, there is nothing they can do to help.

You have an issue with me and that's your business, if you want a pissing match shoot me a pm and not trash a perfectly civil discussion.

Why not offer an opinion rather than acting like an infant?

3. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Big Pete this information is priceless to me and others. You have just validated what I'm seeing too. I've bowhunted and turkey hunter for the last 16 years so believe I know what turkey sign is! Thanks for sharing and I agree with the observation on quail. I'm hearing the same here about multiple coveys. I know in my area I am seeing a lot of rabbits this year, don't worry I don't hunt them lol. Keep us in the loop

4. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Ps. Steve Governor said tonight that he will be taking 2.5 percent from each state agencies to provide more revenue for education. I'm sure that KDFR won't be looking to conduct any new studies on grouse, it cost money to do that so? Not sure it would change anything in Frankfort if you don't have the money. They would or could if they had it.

5. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Look ... I've said my piece ... I have no interest in entering a pissing match with you.

Feel free to continue disrespecting and devaluing the opinions of those with much more and varied experiences than you.

6. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Agreed, and for once I'm wasn't attempting to stir up any bs. I was enjoying reading others opinions on what they are seeing and thinking. I'm fine with anyone disagreeing, but dropping it to a personal level offers nothing of value. Grouseguy just wants to b*tch and stir up some crap. I'm game, but no reason to trash a thread with it.

The turkeys around here have been stuck in the south slopes all fall and winter, there seemed to be a heavy chestnut and red oak crop on those slopes.

I usually start seeing their presence in the grouse stuff by now, however it's absent for now. I did see a little yesterday but nothing crazy.

I have seen more bunnies and bunny sign this year than I can remember.

7. autumn magic

autumn magic Fawn

Jan 29, 2007
    Interesting to say the least.In my area as I said before,not flushed a grouse yet.I've spoke to my other grouse hunting friends and we've put the hours in but they say the same thing.Great habitat and good cover.Not seen any turkeys either while out and about.Some have sold out and went to rabbit hunting or quail hunting.We've encountered several good coveys of quail and taken a few,but I love grouse hunting more even as bad as the circumstances are.Was looking to get another setter puppy this summer but unless I go north,it will be hard to train a dog like this.I forgot to mention this includes 2-3 counties with no grouse contacts,not good,not good at all.Hoping for something to change for our future generations.

8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Just curious which counties you and others are hunting. Maybe this could help determine if its localized at all or widespread.

9. autumn magic

autumn magic Fawn

Jan 29, 2007
    Perry County and surrounding counties.I'm curious how many hunters are in these counties that I'm not aware of that have had grouse contacts.Some blame the elk and so forth.As I said before,spoke to a wildlife biologist about this and he stated the drum count was down more than normal.What area do you hunt in.Don't have to be specific,just a general area.You could be right,so I don't know.Floyd and Johnson are down too from my friends.They have flushed a few more than we have but that's not too hard to do,lol.We haven't flushed any and i've tried new spots,etc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    I hunt in Jackson County, more specifically Dan Boone and Mill Creek. I am interested in red bird in clay county but don't really know my way around there so

11. autumn magic

autumn magic Fawn

Jan 29, 2007
    Hunted Red Bird several years ago.Beautiful country and good habitat where we were but not for sure how grouse are doing there now.One thing is for sure,it's easy to get turned around in there.I went with an old grouse guy and he knew the area fairly well but he can't get in the woods much anymore.Went back by myself one time after that and got turned around in there,lol. Wished I had a GPS then!

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Looks like we have six at this point, I'm hoping for at least 100. The time is right and this will make a difference at the state level if hunters will turn out.

13. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    I appreciate the information. I went there and double creek 10 years ago and was afraid to get off the beaten path. I was also worried about my unattended vehicle. Not sure why but remember being on my mind. I saw lots of clearcuts that I'm sure would hold birds. Wish it was closer

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!

14. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    There is no blame on the hunters for not participating. Heck, for many seasons I did not submit my hunts. It is probably safe to say that most grouse hunters in the state are not even aware of a hunter cooperator survey. If more reliable data is needed, then participants need to be actively recruited by the Department. I've heard more than once why some grouse hunters do not participate in the survey. They're worried that the information will be used to shorten the season or reduce bag limits. The survey consists solely of the hunting log now. The wing survey was dropped several years ago.

The small game program staff (all 2 of them) work very hard at the state and national levels to improve habitat in Kentucky. Their efforts to implement bobwhite quail restoration at the landscape level have been second to none. Of course they don't get out in the field to help with the habitat enhancement very often. They depend on all the field biologists and technicians to do the work. Clay WMA in the NE Region is a great example of what has been accomplished for quail. In 2012, 19 coveys were heard at 9 listening points at Clay. That is darn good considering that Clay has more forestland than openland. They put fire on 400 acres in 2013, half of that was in the forest. Clay continues to grow almost annually with new land purchases. I believe a new 450 acre tract was just added to the main unit this past fall. What has all this intensive effort benefited besides quail? Rabbits have absolutely exploded in the quail focus areas.

Likewise with grouse habitat, the small game guys expect the field biologists to put habitat on the ground. Their message to field staff is to think bigger and do more. Thanks to the Kentucky Grouse Hunters Association, the Department converted a biologist in the NE Region to focus on forest management. The Wildlife Diversity Section within the Wildlife Division funds a roving "Habitat Team" to do nothing but habitat work in a specific region each year. The NE Region had the 4 extra people in 2009-10. They created grouse habitat on several WMAs that season by felling trees. The Habitat Team is back in the NE Region again this year. There are 3 extra people on board to expand grouse habitat. They are currently felling trees at Paintsville Lake WMA. But that is just one project for the Team. They are applying herbicide to bush honeysuckle at Clay, will soon be treating hemlocks at the Laurel Gorge WMA in Elliott County to protect them from the adelgid that is killing hemlocks all over the east, planting shrubs, planting alder for woodcock, and the list goes on.

15. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Good information

Grouse and GSP, GAME ON!