Grouse numbers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
  2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I borrowed a dog today and had a wonderful time. 5 birds seen, 1 close flush that was only heard, one shot and one bird in the bag. The little dog is a pro but did run up two birds in one thicket. Both flushed right under her chin. I don't know why she didn't wind them unless they had just landed in that area and hadn't put down scent.

This was my second bird of the year. I'll be back to square one next season with a new dog.

I had a dog show some vertical like G-guy's once. In Wisconsin I got a point over my Queenie dog and took a straight away shot in a terrible alder thicket. I didn't see any sign of a hit but I could see my dog acting funny about 30 yards away. I could catch glimpses of her white coat several feet off the ground, but just every now and then. When I got close, I found her crouching and springing up trying to pull the dead bird out of an alder tangle about 6 feet off the ground. I swear, she was getting within a couple inches of that bird.

3. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I've only been 3 times this year... that sucks. I'm taking off tomorrow to finish out the season.

I've shot 3 times and killed 2 birds, and it's been a better than average flush rate for me.

I'm glad Junior has made such a great dog for you GG, he sure is a fine looking dog too.

JonDunn, the Junior dog of GG is a littermate to Will's Dan, GG had the sire to that litter.

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I was talking to Grouseguy about 2 months ago about Junior and Dan. Thats what he was telling me. Maybe next year we will get to hunt together. I have some work to do over the summer, either in a new dog or with this one. I just hate to give up on this one yet.