Grouse numbers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler

Today was my last day. Im tired of walking only to have a dog flush bird after bird. She flushed 1 single an a double today. So with that being said, you know my number. Call me and we will talk. Ill see what I can come up with in the off season. I might be better off to just buy a proven dog, I dont really know.
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I have a remote launcher if you want to borrow it for Annie.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Yes. When you are down here, bring it with you. Maybe we both need to work on some pigeons.

3. PENCO GSP

PENCO GSP Fawn

Jan 5, 2009
    Hunt sunday

We hunted sunday hard. On the ground for about six hours got up three birds. Two of the birds were together but on hillside so steep need rapeling gear to get to them. Got tail feathers on the last one flushed about 30 yards infront of me. Birds flushing really wild. Best part about it my 6 month old GSP got her first taste and sight of a bird. She knows what quail are she did'nt know what that was but she knew she liked it. Could not be more pleased with two young dogs hunted real hard just still young.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The best of days, the worst of days. The best part was I borrowed the best dog in the county and got her in birds. Saw five, heard one, got good points are three of them. The others came up wild, no fault of the dog.

The worst part was I should have had a limit of 4 birds and only managed to disable one that still got away. A season of no shooting has left me rusty. I am traumatized by the shame of missing gimme shots. The birds held like they were glued to the ground. I walked in on a point and crippled a big red bird with my first shot, so I emptied on it trying to bring it down in the brush. I followed it as it crossed the ridge, and then a young bird flushed at my feet and leisurely flew away, while I stood there with an empty gun.:mad:

I parked and put the beeper on the dog, only to find the battery had gone dead. I dreaded hunting her with no beeper, but it was actually a very pleasant day. She was always close by, always checked in with me, and worked like the professional she is. Absolutely the best dog I've ever followed. She was totally in charge; I just blundered along behind and let her down at every opportunity.

Another positive was my knee; after being bent and twisted by the orthopedics guy Friday, the sharp shooting pains have left me. I may still have the recommended minor surgery but at least I can get around the hills now without falling on my face every third step.

5. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    A good day

Took off today and hunted 4.5 hours. My dog made a real strong retrieve on a skunk.... yep, you guessed it.... I wondered if it would be possible to smell a bird after a nose full of that.

Had a couple of wild flushes, the dry crunchy leaves will give those results..

Finally old Poncho locked up 40 yards out off a logging road. As I was getting within 20 yards of him a bird flushed from the logging road over the dog. I dropped it right in front of him. I broke my gun open and was taking the bird from the dog when the bird he actually had pointed flushed. Snapped the gun back closed, fired the first shot, empty chamber, then the second and missed.... Coulda had a double....

Ended up having 9 flushes, either 7 or 8 birds. Not a bad day!

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Sounds to me like you were in my honey hole.;)

7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    If I catch you in my spot again, you better have enough energy to walk home.:D If you don't mind remind me how to get there...

8. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Went to a different spot today, hunted 5 hours, flushed 5 birds, killed the only one I shot at.

Birdman, I need to hit your honeyhole, that ought to be about right to get through now...

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I hunted with a friend and his dogs Saturday. Saw a bird fly over at about 200 feet, don't know where it came from, or where it went, or why. Must've been migrating back in from wherever it spent the winter.

Got a solid point and missed a hard shot, followed it up and we shot it to flinders the second time, feathers drifting down all over the thicket. The bird faltered but dived over the ridge and disappeared. Apparently you need a 40 mm AA gun to bring grouse to the ground. It's been so long since i killed one I've forgotten why I'm hunting them.

Gonna take the basketcase out in the snow this afternoon, first trip for her in a month. She likes snow, so maybe she'll relax and have some fun.

10. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    6 flushes last sat., 1 flush this sat. Young dogs getting a nose full and pointing birds. They just don't really have it all figured out yet, Im talking about all those nasty tricks those grouse pull.:mad:

11. Jonesy's Gun Dogs

Jonesy's Gun Dogs 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Berea
    Several of my clients in this area, been finding 4-9 flushes when out. They have shot a couple birds shot, but more working their dogs, and focusing on that. Thanks Jonesy

12. vabirddog

vabirddog 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2007

Welcome back! How ya feeling?

13. Jonesy's Gun Dogs

Jonesy's Gun Dogs 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2006
    Berea
    feeling pretty good, really feels good, getting back at the dog work, really missed it, been cut loose for a couple weeks, and working in between snow and rain, of course, still gotta be a touch careful, doc doesnt think I will catch bad cold or pneumonia, but says still be careful. Got 3 that are steadying, and 3 pups getting started, so day stays just busy enough, ya know.......am very thankful, that I am still around. Thanks Bud, Jonesy

14. mountain grouser

mountain grouser Spike

Jan 31, 2008
    Had a hard time finding birds early but as they usually arte would not trade the month of february for the whole season . me and my buddy killed five birds last weekend. starting to show.

15. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I experienced an "unusual" retreive yesterday ... CSS Archer, you'll like this!!!

Me and a buddy hunted about 4 hours yesterday with only one wild flush right out of the creek as we came off of one hillside. The bird flushed straight away from me up the opposite hillside, which was still snow covered. I managed to throw a shot in that direction and my buddy said "you hit it ... its down, but still moving".

I sent my "Junior" dog (the dog in my avatar) up the hill to retreive and he noticed the bird moving and the chase was on. The grouse ran several feet and then went airborne, with some difficulty. We could see the whole thing very well due to the snow cover as a backdrop. It flew eratically maybe 50 - 75 feet and landed on a branch about 4-5 feet off the ground, with Junior still in chase. Junior didn't see the bird land and was "hunting dead" on the ground in the general area, when the bird started flapping its wings again, which drew his attention.

Junior then showed some "verticle" as he jumped up and plucked the grouse off of the branch and proudly retreived it to hand ... still alive.

Nothing really spectacular, but it is one of those events that I'd never witnessed before, which made for a pretty cool end to an otherwise fruitless day in the grouse woods.