Grouse numbers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jarrodcombs

jarrodcombs 6 pointer

Feb 23, 2007
    salvisa ky
    I watched Ky Afield and was amazed at what they were calling thick. It looked like open woods to me, I dont think you could film were I hunt. We wouldn't have flushed a bird if they were with me either.:D

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Anybody know where they were?

3. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Was it like Rowan co. or something. I dont recall right off my head. I have it DVR'd but I thought it was good in that they showed what an actuall hunt entails most of the time... alot of walking and no birds. The cover they hunted was questionable in that it wasnt very thick but I think the biologists and KFW need to start backing up some of their statements on being concerned about small game, not just grouse but all of it.

4. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Daniel Boone in Rowan co. is like a lot of other places. The good cover is getting harder and harder to find. Not enough cutting the last 10-15 yrs. (My opinion). Our DNR has shown no interest in Small Game, not enough revenue compared to deer, turkey, elk where tags are sold (again my opinion). I see our habitat continuing to decrease with the exception of the land owners who are allowing logging.

5. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    In the late 80's to mid 90's there was plenty of logging in the DBNF and consequently the hunting in these areas was very good. I have flushed as many as 22 in a day. Now I'm lucky to see one in a day. I guess I was spoiled and with the 1000's of acres of public land, it never occured to me to get permission to hunt private land. Who knew?

I love to grouse hunt, but its become nothing more than exercise for me and the dog lately. I hope it turns around before I'm too old to go anymore.

6. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Got two birds up today had a point on one.

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I hunted two spots that has produced already this year over the weekend. I didnt fly a bird in either one of em. Covered both of em pretty good. There wasnt a spot left untouched on todays hunt. 2 dogs and 2 guys. We covered the main top to the main bottom... ever little drain, crack, anything.

8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Thurs: 0 flushes
    Friday: 5 flushes, no dead
    Saturday: 7 flushes, 1 dead
    Sunday: 6 flushes, 1 dead

Bird on saturday was full of acorns and fern tips. Bird yesterday was full of grapes, ferns, rose berries, and honey suckle berries.

At this point in the season I think there are twice as many birds in my normal haunts as last year. I am averaging moving about 2 birds per hour for the season, and killing one every blue moon. They do seem jumpier this season then the last few seasons, for some reason.

Some might say it is pressure, but I don't buy that crap. The place I killed the bird yesterday I hunted one week ago, and the bird that died was pointed and shot at the Saturday before. The only thing I can think is that with all the food this year that the birds aren't worried about not finding food if they leave a spot.

Great year so far, just wish the birds would hold a little bit longer, I could hit a bull in the ass, or not fall at the exact wrong time. :D

Same goes for some other guys I know who hunt around here, they are moving alot more birds then last year, but not killing many because of the early flushing. Good news I guess for next year if more birds survive to breed.

What say you, at this point?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    This one won't be eating any more grouse.;)

[​IMG]

10. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY
    Saturday Hunt

Went out Saturday for a while. Put up 5 birds, had one reflush. Got one good solid point and had a good chance to knock all five birds down. The only problem was my shooting. Ended up taking 11 shots and couldn't manage to knock a feather out. If one part of the hunt has to be bad, I guess shooting is the one I'd pick. Still makes me scratch my head, how I can be dialed in one day and couldn't hit a barn the next.

11. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I Can't hit a bull in the ass :D
    Friday moved 5 birds killed 1, layup.
    Saturday moved 9 birds, missed two hideously easy shots and some other not so easy.
    Sunday moved 6 birds missed one easy shot and killed one that was completely blocked by grapevines. How I have no idea, maybe he died of fright or ran into a tree.

Shot alot this weekend, but only brought home 2.

Don't know if it is the dog pointing too far off or the birds running like track stars, but it seems that the majority of flushes are 20 yards or so off the dogs nose.

I did hear some weird grouse vocalization today right before a bird flushed. Never heard anything other then the rare chirp, but this was bizarre sounding, and definitely was the grouse and nothing else. Any one else heard such?

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Hunted yesterday for about 3 hrs. had one point with two birds. They came up about 50 yards in front, didn't have a shot.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY

I've got friends that say they've heard a rare cackle at the flush, but I can't even hear myself fart most times, so I've never noticed it.

14. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    Hunted Sat. 5 hours, got up 3. Two pointed one wild. Threw lead at the two pointed. Drew feathers on one of them, never could locate it. One came up the hill between me and the dog no shot until it went striaght up and caught the wind and was gone. It was very warm and we didn't get into them until late so I'm sure about how well the dog was scenting. The dog defenetly diserves a better shooter. Four shots and all I got for him was some feathers. I was very pleased with the way he worked these birds. At 14 months old he is doing very well, you can just see the light bulb starting to come on.

15. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    At least you guys are getting into birds. Hunted about 6 hours Sunday and not one flush. Did think we heard one drum, though, when we were getting out of the truck to start hunting a spot. Never heard that before in February. Don't think we were imagining it.