Grouse numbers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    I'm not much of a grouse hunter, heck I don't even have dogs, but I have seen more grouse this year than last. Grouse hunting for me consits of a shotgun and shed hunting. I saw a grouse roadkill in some rolling farmland yesterday. I found that to be very odd.

2. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I am a below average bird hunter with an average bird dog. Sometimes I feel he thinks he is far superior to me though.

3. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    I have an 8 yr old lew. setter that came from a good bloodline that a boy bought and put on a chain ($700) never hunted or trianed. He's no good for hunting but I keep him around because nobody would want him but he is a very smart dog. He was bred to another english setter. I don't know about the other pups but a friend of mine has one male that has made as good of a grouse dog as anybody would want. I've seen him in action. This may not always be the case but papers don't make the dog it will tell you where it comes from which is a better start but training can make a bad dog good where no training can make a good dog bad....This comes back to what came first the chicken or the egg they all had to start somewhere. Not just my observation but all the grouse hunter around here will tell you that about this dog and one of the has been hunting setters since 1978 and really knows bloodlines. My dogs came from good bloodlines to alot of ch. close behind them. my first mistake was taken on 2 dogs an me having no experience.

4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Well finally I had one fly into my gun barrel :D Over the past few weeks, I honestly wondered if I had bought a case of shells with no shot loaded in them.
    [​IMG]

5. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    We hunted about 5 hrs. Sat. didn't fly anything other than turkey. Two other guys hunted the hollow down the road from us and flew one bird but not shot.

6. aferguson27

aferguson27 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2007
    Paintsville
    Good looking pic. I hunted for about 3 hours sat. with no luck at all!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  7. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Hitch, I recognize that brown bird but I've forgotten what we're sposed to do with them once we catch them...

8. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Anyone see KY Afield grouse segnment this weekend? Hard to believe they showed the trip on TV and never flushed a bird. I guess it was a REALITY show.

9. jkurtkrauss

jkurtkrauss Fawn

Feb 13, 2006
    Lexington
    Not sure. They were hunting private land in Rowan/Fleming counties. This made me wonder about what percentage of the grouse hunters on this board hunt private and what percentage hunt public (a.k.a DBNF and WMA's).

I've always hunted in the DBNF, but with the lack of logging, the habitat just isn't there anymore (at least in the areas I've been hunting). There are still a few "thick" areas, but I just don't see the birds. Should I continue to tromp through these areas and hope they return or seek other places?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I flew one bird Sunday, and nothing Saturday. That one seemed a little wary, as it came up a good distance in front of the dog an I. The last 4 birds Ive flushed has been about half way on the hill, in drains.

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I've never hunted DBNF and from what I hear from folks like you, I never will have a need or desire to hunt it. I hunt the same area JonDunn hunts, and it's 100% privately owned family farm/hillside. Logging is ongoing. Some are large cuts and some are small but we will have habitat for many years to come.

12. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler

Maybe thats why that one came up so far away yesterday. It just knew you were with me, an it would'nt have stood a snowballs chance in...The farm I hunted yesterday needed to be hunted 15 year ago or so. The majority or the holler is getting too mature, but 3 forks in it will still have cover for years to come.

13. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Don't ask me, I have been having an impossible time catching them.

14. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    last week

I hunted about 5 hrs thursday afternoon moved 3 birds talked one into riding home, (felt guilty for shooting it as low as the numbers are).
    Hunted about 4 hrs friday afternoon moved 5 birds although I got a few points was no able to connect with a bird. But over all a couple of good days, hunting a couple of new places this year.