Grouse numbers

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by hitch, Nov 20, 2008.

1. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Well after spending 5 days in the last week after the woods chickens, I am sorry to say I have yet to move a bird. Hunted great spots, which had birds in the Spring but now there seems to be nothing for me to shoot or my dog to point. I have moved a few woodcock along the way, which I guess is better then nothing.

I have to say however, that I have never really done great early in the season. Why I have no idea, but if anyone has any thoughts I am open to hear them.

Also, the food this year is out of control. Autumn Olives, Grapes, teaberries, cherries, rose berries, greenbrier berries, etc. you name it is there, and might be the very reason why birds are so hard to find.

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    The guys I've talked with are finding them high and in beeches.

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My crowd has jumped a few, got a couple points, but not fired a shot.

They are high on the hills, food is abundant as Birdman says, very nervous and flushy. Hard to kill them for all the above reasons. Typical November, only more so.

4. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Same here. Birds high on the hills. Lot of walking in the early part of the season for 1 bird or maybe nothing.

5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Even though I have been doing this since I was in High school I still have yet to figure the early season out. I have seen a ton of beechnuts, which the turkeys have ransacked.

It is discouraging to go into good places and they are void of birds.

High on the hills you boys say, welp guess I will get the climbing gear together.:D

6. Mtdrummer

Mtdrummer Spike

Jun 30, 2008
    Paintsville, KY
    I have been out 3 times this season, jumped two birds, both on the first flat below the ridges in beeches.

7. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I've not made it out for grouse. Sage's tail has kept our hunting to a minimum. Have plans to head east Saturday for woodcock. Usually move a grouse or 2.

8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Chessie man I have to say if it wasn't for the little sh*t sifters (woodcock) things would have been dang slow, well actually non existent. For once in my life I was happy to find a few, for the dogs alone. Still won't kill them, but they do provide some excitement.

9. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I plan on giving it a go this afternoon. I'm going to start on top and work my way down. A friend has been bow hunting the area we plan on hunting and has seen several birds. Hopefullly the young dog will get his nose full.;)

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    It will be Monday but I'll sure let you know. Good hunting to everyone this weekend.

11. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    People like what they like. We all have different guns, dogs, boots and favorite birds. I fault no one for that.

Enjoy the excitement. And thanks for passing on the (sh*t sifters) ;) :)

12. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Man! These woodcock names just keep getting better and better!

13. spotty 11

spotty 11 Fawn

Nov 15, 2008
    fleming co
    found some during deer season high in the hills in hunny suckle looks like it might be a good year freind says he saw some while root hunting earlier:D

14. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Went out for about 6 hours yesterday. Didnt see a thing. 9 month old Brit puupy on first hunt. got birdy a few times but nothing of it. Stayed low most of the time but went high a few times. nothing. LOTS of food though.