Grouse hunts?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by CSS archer, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Hey Ronnie want to try to go to the grand nationals in pa.there coming up i think in april...

2. S.Pace

S.Pace 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2004
    Well, today wrapped it up. I took my uncle to a new area I found the other day. Chief pointed first thing, but I couldn't get anything up. I released him and he worked the hill above and to our left, but still nothing. About 60 yards down the road, he winds something and barrels off down over the hill to our right and his beeper goes off. I move in to his left and go past; up comes one about 20 yards down the hill with no shot. He stays on point and I take another step and another bird comes up about 10 yards down the hill. I shot twice, but the way he flew was too thick. Then 5 more come up to his right. If I would have just went to Chief's right when I moved in, I would have been in perfect position for all of them......oh well, plenty of seed for next year!!!

We moved two more, one wild and one point, but the bird came out of a thicket and we couldn't even see it. I ended up taking 14 birds over him since about the second or so week of January. He pointed a ton more, I just can't shoot straight at times....lol Anyway, I feel like I got a lot accomplished; he's done pretty good for a 13 1/2 month old. I already can't wait for next year......

3. grouseman 1

grouseman 1 Spike

Feb 8, 2004
    I would like to say that I have really enjoyed reading all the grouse talk this season and can't wait to do it again next year.
    I ended the season over in Johnson county in one of my favorite spots. Got two points and one shot and I missed. My dogs for some reason did'nt look suprised. All in all it has been a tough but enjoyable season.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Today wrapped it up. My little circle of friends ended the season with 78. That's 5 guns over 5 dogs and a couple of guests scored a bird each. (My contribution was typically modest. Not one to hog the game or show off, you know.:eek: ) We spent a lot of time working with my 2 year old dog and a 1 year old pup, and a couple of old pros didn't come back for this season after old age and infirmity set in. That left us with really just one go-to dog, and she's wore down to a nub right now. Hardly a hair on her chest or legs, and she's 35 lbs of muscle and grit. She's really earned a summer of rest and relaxation. Another 4 year old dog really came on strong in the latter part of the season so that's a good sign for next year.

We found plenty of birds again this year, but we didn't have the dog talent on the ground as in years past. My knucklehead kept me out of scoring position a lot of the time. There are a lot of bird dogs and bird hunters out there now, far more than I've seen in the 25 years I've been chasing grouse. Competition doesn't hurt, I guess, and I'm glad my favorite game animal is getting some attention, even if it is from other hunters.

I too have thoroughly enjoyed talking dogs and birds with the guys on this board. Thanks for tolerating my incessant nattering on about all my trials and tribulations.

[​IMG]

Here's the last bird shot over the last point of the season. I've got to be like CSS Archer and get some photos of the dog on point next year. I concentrate on the bird and forget about that beautiful animal that made it possible.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  5. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    I have enjoyed visiting with you folks this season . I had a better year this year on killing birds than the last three. But I am perhaps in the best dog shape I have been in in the last few years, as far as point back retreive mature dogs goes. Since I hunt by myself about 80% of the time, the shooting oportunities vary greatly. It is still the greatest bird dog wing shooting challenge to me, after over 40 years of it.

6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I, too, have enjoyed this thread, haven't contributed much in the way of recapping my hunts, been to involved with improving our area for the next generation of grouse hunters. Next year I plan on follow the dog, instead of the department.:D Several of us must live with in thirty miles of each other.

We usually have some fun trials each spring, if any of you guys are interested, I'll post the dates when they come available. We use the trials, to back off the throttle gradually,:D along with spending the day with our grouse hunting friends. Of course there's no lying going on during these trials:D :D .

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I've wanted to attend the nationals for several years now, something always keeps popping up. Find out what the dates are and lets look at going.;)

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Ronnie the dates are the 5th 6th 7th I sent an e-mail to the person running the trial for some info on it and asked them a few questions we might need to know before heading up there if we decide to go ill let you know more when i hear back...

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Are you guys taking dogs or just going to watch?

I've got an invite to go with a couple boys, but we won't be taking any dogs. Could come home with one or two, though.

10. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    We are talking just going to watch but im wondering if its really worth going to watch Im not really even sure if its a foot hunt or horse hunt and im not sure if the gallery is allowed to follow or what . Ive sent an email to try to find out some info on it before i drive up there...

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm pretty sure the gallery gets to run along behind. The judges are on horseback, and the route is a one hour course. I've never been, don't know if I will or not.

12. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    As long as I could follow and see kinda whats going on I think it would be a blast . I would actually be interested in getting some trials started around here in east ky but im just not into the liberated birds they would have to be wild bird trials and more than likely i would prefer on foot just like we hunt the dogs in the woods . Im not sure what the rules are for trials such as cover dog trials but I think thats sort of what is like to try to get started if there was enough of an interes in it around this area...

13. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Hey Ribsplitter, I'm answering your question from another thread.
    Me and Lil GSP had a blast this past weekend!:cool:
    We hunted Saturday morning and had 2 solid points, both times birds flushed out 30+ yards in front of the dogs when we walked up on them. Jamie did a good job, she pushed through some "NASTY" stuff! I took her back and caught up with Handgunner, Lil GSP and Mrs Handgunner thought hitting the indoor pool at the hotel would be better than an afternoon of hot, windy conditions of mountain climbing (oK, they were right).
    Anyhoo, me and Handguner put up 5 more that afternoon and nary a shot. Those birds are scaired to death.
    Sunday morning Jamie and me hit a place in Wolfe county. I didn't put beepers on the dogs, wanted them to have a good last hunt too and let'em go. Flec had a bird nailed in a thicket and we didn't see her. Had a BIG grouse flush out in front of us and fly down a log road! Would have been a perfect shot for her to get her first grouse, we were just to far back.
    As for my season? Best one I ever had. Lil GSP started grouse hunting, she has gone 3 times, hunted them hard and has never pulled a trigger on one, BUT she wants to go back.

14. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Sounds like shes hooked, we will get her in some birds next year and let her wear them out ...

15. Lil Gsp

Lil Gsp 6 pointer

May 15, 2004
    Lexington
    Sounds like a great plan to me!