Grouse hunts?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by CSS archer, Nov 24, 2005.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    It's getting down to the wire. My totals are pretty slim this year, combination of bad shooting and loose dogwork. I can fix one of them, but the other has been broke for years.:(

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Larry and I flew one large cock bird yesterday, I have the same problem as Trust me and it's not my dogs.:D We had one group fly 10 and took 2, another group flew 9 and took 2. Along with another group that flew 7 and took 0. Average day of hunting.

3. Lil Gsp

Lil Gsp 6 pointer

May 15, 2004
    Lexington
    We flew 4 today got 4 killed and only 4 shots!:D And dont forget to tell Larry that!

4. S.Pace

S.Pace 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2004
    Yesterday some friends and I went to Pheasant Ridge in Owenton and ended up with 57 quail, 2 ring neck and 2 chucker. We only bought quail.... Chief found one of the big roosters down in a wooded ravine; great point and his first pheasant.

Today I grouse hunted (9:30-3:00) and moved 15 total..... As usual, I was in the wrong spot on many of them and couldn't get a shot, but I did kill two, flat out missed three and SHOULD have had more. On one, I had it for sure but it went low away from the dog and I felt that Chief was too close to the line of fire so I let it go. On another, I swung and ran into a tree...... Toward the end of the hunt, Chief is pointed and I walk and walk, stomp, etc. and nothing. Finally it comes out and I had walked all around it. Nothing between me and it but oxygen. I'm dead on the bird and am trying to let it get out a little to keep from blowing it apart, I pull the trigger and nothing......I about died! I loaded some shells last night and mistakingly used a couple that I picked up yesterday. Apparently it had moisture in it........man, I had that bird. Out of the 15, Chief pointed 10 and the rest came up wild. The ones he pointed held great. By far the best day I've had in that regard. I don't know if the hawk scream on his beeper did the trick or not, but they sure held tight. He retrieved both that I killed to hand.......a great day for sure!

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My brother and I hit a long hollow and had a hard time of it. The hollow was wide, and with just one dog out front, she missed several birds that we walked up. We walked up 6 or 8, she pointed a couple and we killed one. It came up and flew toward me. I lost it in some hemlocks and my brother said, "Comin' atcha!" and I caught up with it just as it was setting its wings to land in a tree. I did not break my Toenail Rule: that is, you don't shoot if its toenails are touching wood or dirt. I rolled it and a split second later my brother whacked it with his 20 gauge #5s. He really does a number on them with that big shot.

We had another beautiful point deep in a hemlock grove, and I did have an open shot but didn't see any feathers roll, and it left the country, so I hope it was a clean miss.

We logged about 6 or 8 miles today in a single 4 mile long hollow. It's rare to have a hollow that big with no houses, roads or power lines. I like to think it's a secret, but I know from the spent shells lying around that plenty hunt it.

6. DHull

DHull 6 pointer

Dec 25, 2004
    KY
    i was out shed hunting this morning and jumed up a few grouse, :eek: scared the crap out of me. i was in a really thick ceader area.

7. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Son and I hunted a few hours ysterday afternoon in the big mountians. Mobved three birds and only had one shooting opportunity , on which he connected. Nice red one. I am going to try i t one more time this year . maybe.

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Lil GSP, I talked with your hunting partner last night. Are you sticking with that story?:D ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  9. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

We had a good day and a frustrating day this past weekend. A buddy and I hunted all day Saturday and had 10 flushes (5 in one group that flushed wild), 3 held for point, and we put two of those in the bag. My only complaint for Saturday was that it was way too hot to be climbing hills for 6 hours.

I hunted with the same buddy on Sunday in roughly the same area. Since we had flown nearly all of the birds on Saturday close to creeks that held water, we decided to hit a long hollow that had a good creek running through it. This is one of those farms where the owner will always allow permission, but he wants you to stop by his house first to let him know you will be on the farm (its a big farm and the access to the hunting is on a different road from where he lives). When we stopped by yesterday, he tells us to go ahead, but he has sold 50 acres (which is outside of the hollow we were going to hunt) to a guy that has erected a gate, with posted sign, at the beginning of the access road against the landowners wishes, but he hasn't told the guy to remove it yet. So we pull in next to the gate, and are getting ready when this black pick-up passes on the road 3 times, then stops to "show his ass". Apparently, he is the owner of the 50 acres and he tells us that he doesn't allow hunting...to which, we say that the landowner told us where his property was and that it was off limits. The guy then tells us that he doesn't want us in the hollow period and he will shoot any dog that crosses onto his property, which resulted in an unpleasant exchange and he makes a further ass of himself by flooring the truck, throwing gravels and squeeling tires when he hits the pavement, yelling he's going for the sheriff. It was obvious the guy was just a blowhard fool, so we went hunting and never heard from him again...it just made for an unpleasant experience on what should be a "fun" day.

After about an hour and a half, we've flown one bird on a wild flush. I'm working down next to the creek and my buddy is above me, when I watch as Ruff hits a set snare. It threw him down, and the snare was solidly around his neck, but he was unhurt, just scared/confused. I hollered for my buddy to bring his leatherman tool, but I got the snare off before he arrived. Ruff took off for the creek when released, and didn't go another 100 feet and hit another snare. This one caught him across the head and cut the underside of his ear, which bled alot, and by the time I got it loose, we were both pretty bloody. The bleeding stopped with a little direct pressure and we decided to get the hell out of there.

The snares didn't have any tags, and we found a half of a dead wild rabbit near one of the snares.

We went back to the landowners house and he "vented" some about wishing he had never sold to this guy and that he would take down the gate this week, and for us not to worry about it. He said he knew nothing about the snares...he had given permission for some local boys to coyote hunt the farm, and he knew they regularly rode their ATV's back in there, but he would find out about the snares and have them removed, if it was the local boys. All in all, as it turned out, it was more aggravating and frustrating than any real harm done this time...my buddy is friends with the local CO and he was going to inform him today about the snares and the beligerant landowner, but I suspect the landowner will take care of things this week. He's an older fellow that is no longer really able to keep up with the farm and I suspect he gets taken advantage of quite a bit. I was pissed:mad: yesterday, but realize that its something that little will/can be done about it. Just some of the bad that we have to take with the good at times.

10. S.Pace

S.Pace 6 pointer

Oct 1, 2004
    My buddy, his dad and I went this morning and moved 7. Had 4 shots and killed 3 birds - each one of us got one.

I guess tomorrow is it.....I have to work, but plan to spend the evening in my best spot. Good luck to everyone; I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts this season and although I've not met any of you, I feel like we're all friends.

Scott

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Well, today wrapped it up for me. One point, one bird, one shot, one kill. Nice big mature chocolate-ruffed bird, and the dog held her point for a good 10 minutes before I could get down off the hill and to her. Her occasional moments of brilliance make all the other bad stuff bearable.

I'm kinda glad the season is over. I've got a lot of tune up work to do on the dog, and there's no time for yard work when you can hit the hills for some OJT. I think I'm better at training than I am at shooting grouse anyway.

The dog is self hunting at times, and now refuses to retrieve, although she'll take you to the bird and mouth it for you. The old e-collar is being repaired right now, and should be back in a couple weeks. Force Fetch will begin in earnest and we're going to put a big dent in the local pigeon population learning to retrieve (and learning to shoot straight.) We've got several loose ends to tie down before next October. But I think it won't be too difficult. She's a smart and eager dog and the second off-season is the time for fine-tuning anyway.

And of course there's always the anticipation and excitement of a potential addition to the family. Pups should be whelped in April, and I'm #4 on the list. If everything goes well, we'll hear the patter of little paws around the house in late May or June. So hopefully the #1 dog will be lined out when the #2 dog arrives.

Bird season never really ends, does it?

Grouseguy,
    Sorry to hear about all the unpleasantness. I'm guessing the butthole's attitude won't improve, and the snare situation could end badly. We abandoned a wonderful area because of snares. A fine bitch dog nearly died in one; she lost consciousness and a Leatherman saved her life. We haven't been back there in 3 years.

I hope you get the gate/landowner thing resolved.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  12. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    I hunted DBNF near Cave Run again on Sunday from 7:00 to 2:30. I flew 7 birds...4 in one group...I had 10 flushes including reflushes...and not one bird in the bag:(

The first 2 birds flushed wild, never even saw them. My yellow lab nearly caught the next bird as he flushed him out of a blow down. I had a pretty good look at this bird but had to wait for him to clear the dog and I missed.

I am still scratching my head about what happened when I flushed the group of four. The dog was up hill from me in a thicket. I stepped into a small clearing and saw some movement on the ground. Somehow it took about 3 seconds for it to register in my sleep deprived mind that those 4 birds standing under that pine were grouse and that I was grouse hunting. At this instant my lab winded the birds and rushed in for the flush. The birds wasted no time in putting that pine between themselves and me...one stone cold dead pine tree was the result. No shot opportunities on the re-flushes.

Dog work was good he quartered well and hunted very close...I need to get him out west after some pheasant.

I am definitely hooked on grouse hunting....I am even considering buying a pointing dog;)

13. Lil Gsp

Lil Gsp 6 pointer

May 15, 2004
    Lexington
    Yessum I learned one thing, Hunters are good liars!

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    If your dog would wait patiently for you to get in position, then a flusher would be fine. But in rough hilly and brushy country, you need to flush at your convenience, not your dog's. That's why a pointing dog is my choice. But each to his own, I suppose.

15. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Simply because the official season ends today, doesn't mean we can't continue to talk grouse. I'm interested to see how those dogs improve, and share a little training on my young dog. It's time for him to become stady to wing and shot.:rolleyes: Hopefully all will go well.;)